1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

100 watt amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by zr1bill, Jan 16, 2013.

1. zr1bill

zr1bill Supporting Member

I was looking at the Ampeg Micro CL. It is rated at 100 watts. Most people say it is a practice amp, well suited for the bedroom.

I have also looked at the Bassman 100T. People say this is a great amp for small to medium venues. And, it has a switch to lower the power to 25 watts for use as a practice amp.

I know one is solid state and the other is a tube amp, but I have also read where people have said "Watts is watts."

How is it that these 2 amps are viewed so differently for a power/use standpoint given that they are both 100 watts?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Its about the cab you pair them with, and the way they approach clipping.

If you have enough cab you can be quite loud with a 100 watt amp. You just need the sensitivity to get you there.

As far as watts are watts goes, yes this is true. One difference between a tube and SS amp is they way they sound when they reach that 100 watts of clean power. As a SS amp clips the distortion produced does not sound great to many people's ears. Tube amps on the other hand have a much more pleasing distortion mixed with some natural compression. A lot of tube amps can be pushed deep into distortion resulting in almost double their clean power rating.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yup, a watt is a watt- but a tube amp can sound great at 2x it's rated wattage, where a solidstate amp will sound like poo. And +1, it's really all about the speakers.