1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

100 watts enough for small gig?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by southpaw723, Nov 30, 2013.

1. southpaw723

southpaw723

I might play this small place where there's going to be 20-30 people. Would my 100 watt Acoustic B100 be loud enough? My band plays mostly classic rock style music and the guitarist is using a 15 watt amp. The drummer isn't too loud either. Any thoughts?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

It could depend on the type & size of your speaker cabinet(s), which you haven't mentioned yet. So best guess in the absence of that information is, "probably".

MM

3. southpaw723

southpaw723

It's a 15 inch speaker.

4. David Jayne

David Jayne

Is it loud enough for rehearsal? If so yeah, it should be fine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

If everyone else is on the same page as far as volume level, yes, 100w into a 15" cabinet will be fine. Have a good gig. Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. klokker

klokker

+1. I think it should be enough. Probably will work best if you don't scoop it out too much. Boost mids and cut the lows a bit if you need more volume, but at reasonable volume you should be OK.

I've done gigs with a 100 watt Peavey combo and it was more than enough.

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I agree, with the caveat that if you need to ask, maybe there is something missing from the picture painted.

A 15w guitar amp can get pretty darn loud with two 12's, if drummer went for it too, well, it would be too loud for that little room unless you are some poorly equipped doom punk merchants, and bass would be lacking.

Just in case, stake out the corner for your amp and push drummer to the side.

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Will it be able to get loud enough? Probably. Will it sound good at that volume, and be able to deliver a wide range of tones at said volume? Doubtful.

10. longfinger

longfinger

The speaker is what moves the air, and one 15" speaker offers more surface area than a 12" and 10" combined. I've played gigs on both Peavey and Fender 100W to 150W combos with 15" speakers and they were plenty loud, and deep sounding and it balanced very well with an acoustic drum kit and a big guitar amp, where the guitarist knew how to use the volume knob. A room of 30 people is a small room. It should be fine. Everyone listen to each other and adapt.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Easy. Find the limits of your rig, play below them and ask your drummer to understand that's as loud as it can get. If you play well, present well, most folks don't give a rat's behind about loud in a small space. They do hear balance between the instruments though. Finding that balance is key. Have fun and tell us how it goes.

FWIW - since I bought it in September, I have 10 or a dozen gigs on a Gk M112. I run it on a stand angled up and it seems to work fine in smallish rooms. Not really sure what it is watts wise but it's enough.

12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes, absolutely. That should be about perfect.

13. Wesley R

Wesley R

Agreed

For over 15 years my main amp was a 65watt (RMS), tube amp with a single 15. When the sound was well balanced that amp did just fine. Yes, there were times when more headroom & speaker surface area would have been dandy, no doubt about it.

14. Lync

Lync

It should be perfectly fine. Put the amp in a corner if you can and you will get more out of it.

15. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn

My B100 is loud enough for outdoor gigs playing Christian Rock/Alternative even with mic'd drums. Has no XLR out, so you can't plug into the PA. The tone is a little on the muff side but volume is never an issue for me. 15" in a closed cab, no ports and still loud as the dickens!:bassist: