1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

100w of tubes enough?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Ampeg V4B through 8x10's...loud enough for metal? Or would i have to run the pre into my 450W SS power amp?
  2. nubs

nubs Supporting Member

some here will swear it is, i had a V4B matched with my 8x10 and i say...no, it didnt come even close.
  3. ajunea3

ajunea3

If you like tube distortion, then yes it might. Don't expect a whole lot of low end rattling your legs though.
  4. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I've been getting mixed responses. Most people hear me say 'Metal' and started thinking of Judas Priest and Van Halen. Nope, this is HARD metal. The kind with drummers whose kick and snare make you feel like you're getting punched in the face. Full stack overdriven Marshalls.
  5. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Yes, I like it. This particular V4B has been modified with master volume and distortion controls
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Only YOU can answer, after playing with your band, but it wouldn't be enough for me. I owned a V4BH, and it's an awesome sounding amp- and paired with an 810, it will get plenty loud. But metal?, I don't know.
  7. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Based on your description on "Metal" id say you need 500+ Solid state watts at least, so NO 100w tube is not enough. Put it to you this way, i was using 120w Tube power amp with a 2x10 and its not loud enough for my band, click the youtube link to hear the music.
  8. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Even if you pumped a couple of hundred watts through a 2X10, it can only do so much.
  9. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I currently run an Ampeg SVT 450H into musicman 2x10s. Does the job quite nicely. Could I just run the V4 pre into the 450's power section for a nice SVT 4 sounding rig?

*edit* autocorrect is talkbass's worst enemy
  10. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Damnit, damnit, damnit....
  11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Don't ever run a tube amp with out a cab attached.
  12. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

+1

Tube amps are designed to have a speaker load, so running them without a cab attached is a BAD IDEA.

I tried out my V4B at a jam session once... Me, drummer, and two guitarists each playing through Mesa 50W tube combos with extension cabs. I wasn't anywhere near loud enough through my 2x10/2x12 cabs. I had thought ahead though and brought my Shuttle 6 as backup... then I was okay. :bassist:

I've never had the occasion to run my V4B through an 8x10 though, so I can't really speak on that...

5sg.
  13. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Ughhhh, again with the misreading
  14. tooley

tooley

I use a marshall jcm800 bass series in to a ampeg 6x10. Playing metal more traditional then you from the sound of things but still loud. I have my volume around 2-3 & find it more then loud enough. So yes id think 100watts is enough tube watts for metal. But depends on you i guess
  15. wmheilma

wmheilma

I'd look for 300w tube amp or bigger to match the 8x10 if I were you. Also, like the posts above said don't run your V4B without a load on the output. There a few tube amps which have a load built in that protects the output when the speaker is not plugged in. (A similar mistake cost me about $300 years ago. Oops and ouch!)
  16. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Then definitely not, IMO/IME...

I don't see the sense in adding a master volume to a V4B unless you were planning on using it for guitar, to be honest...

- georgestrings
  17. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

what I mean is putting the V4 pre into the 450's power amp, then running the 450's power section into the 8x10s
  18. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

You still need a cab connected to the V4 otherwise you'll melt it. My 100 watt Traynor was loud enough i think you should be ok with the V4 unless you want massive lows and clean.
  19. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

he's talking about no load on the V4B power section if you're running just the pre out of it into the 450 watts ss power amp. Solid state power amps can handle no load, but not tube power sections.
  20. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Perhaps run the v4 into a 2x10 so it doesn't blow then putting the pre into the SS?