Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Q-Ban-Moe, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Q-Ban-Moe

Q-Ban-Moe Gold Supporting Member

2. DrBone

DrBone

At a minimum you would need to do some soldering. It isn't difficult but something to consider. I'd put it at a difficulty of 5 depending on how handy you are. Here is where you can find the wiring diagram for this bass:

http://www.warwick.de/en/Warwick---Discontinued-Models--FNA--FNA-Jazzman--4-5-string--Manuel.html

If you got another MEC preamp that was the same as the fried one all you would have to do is follow the diagram and solder things back up exactly as they were. If you get a different preamp, it should have its own wiring diagram to follow (however, the colors will likely differ from what your wires are making it a bit trickier).
  3. The Nameless

The Nameless

Heh. I got it right away. I figgered somethin up with the pre/wiring in a bass. Buzz, hum, are big subjects here. An ifya don get the title? Why'd ya stop in t'read? T'give the op a hard time? "Geesh"? Do you mean Sheesh? Or Jeesh? Heh... Anyhow...

To the OP... Scads of info an opinion on this subject. Here on Talkbass. An usually on sites who manufacture and or sell pickups an preamps. If you can solder? It is easy to install a pre. If an identical preamp? Remove one wire at a time an relocate, one at a time, to the correct position on new pre. As you do this? Make a wiring diagram, if one isn't included or found online thru a search. Sometimes movin one wire at a time hard, cuzza distance between points. If you must cut wires, leave some of the colored jackets at the solder points, to reference later. If need be. Take your time. Tin yours wires when strip them. Tinning is flowing solder over stripped wire, to reduce time you have to hold your iron to the joint. Plenty of info here. But, if you don't feel comfy with the operation, there is no shame in hirin the work to an experienced tech. Sit in on his operation, an learn. A bass like that is an investment. Treat her right.