1073 or LA-610 to a power amp as a Bass rig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nicktunz, Dec 7, 2013.

1. nicktunz

nicktunz

Disclosures:
    Fender, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Arc Effects, JHS, Ashdown
    Hey Guys,

I had a thought and I am not sure if it would sound good, but in theory I think this would work:

A channel strip, such as a Vintech X73i or a Universal Audio LA-610 then being sent to a power amp of some sort(probably solidstate) and finally in to a cabinet.

My thought is that a channel strip of that sort would handle all the basic functions of a pre amp on a bass amp and the power amp would obviously provide the power. Would it sound bad? I don't know why it would sound bad. But, I haven't heard of anyone doing this. There must be a reason(besides the cost).

I was thinking when I am home(I have a small studio) I could use this channel strip to record what ever I want.

There must be a catch.
  2. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    I would guess cost is probably the reason many people haven't tried this.

Another reason is that while the EQs are known to sound good, they are also somewhat limited especially the 610 so you might need another EQ as well.

There could also be an impendence issue though I have no idea what the impendence is on these strips.
  3. nicktunz

nicktunz

Disclosures:
    Fender, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Arc Effects, JHS, Ashdown
    Yeah, I can justify the cost as I would be using it for recording too. It'd be like getting two toys for the price of one. I noticed the LA 610 was pretty limited in the EQ stage, so I think the Vintech x73i might be a better option. No compression stage but somethings got to give.

I feel like impedance shouldn't be an issue cause the pre amp is just sending a line level, not really a powered signal, right?
  4. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

I use active PA speakers as bass monitor and I brought my LA610 once on a gig and it did sounded Very , very , very good.

Couple of hics though :
    - No sure the LA610 is very road worthy , I was a bit scare to treat it like my other gear , that's why it saw the road only once.

-Has only an XLR output , troublesome to feed FOH and your bass monitor , you'll have to split the signal and have a +4 input on your monitor.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    the Vintech and UA are two different sounding animals.
    I had a Vintech... It is basically a NEVE clone module... I had a real NEVE for my bass years ago feeding a Crown MA1200 amp.. Nothing sounded like it..
    I also had a UA 610 Solo which is only the preamp section of the UA that you asked about .. I used as a DI for a short time but replaced it with the REDDI.. The UA is great stuff..
    But i liked the REDDI more as a DI . They are THICK..
    the Vintech will get you in that NEVE area better than most ..
    The UA has a great compressor.... but the EQ is limited so if you need to EQ alot you may be in a pickle.. The Vintech /NEVE clone is a serious channel strip..
    My FAVE bass tone is a REDDI into a NEVE channel.. Its classic.
    However you need to also get the power supply IIRC for the vintech devices which is about another $300

Depends on what amp you will use LIVE and what cabs...

I have been using the REDDI makers Preamps in my home studio and on some gigs.. It's A-Design.. Great company and gear and just as boutique as Neve and API... I think its a step above Vintech and UA... and more modular... ..
    The A-Design VENTURA is killer pre and DI... and Peter Montessi is on this forum. he mostly hangs in the REDDI thread, but he is the guy to ask questions.... . Here is the Ventura LINK
    Acts as Preamp and DI :hyper:

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/ventura-mic-pre-eq-di.htm

[​IMG]

Sort of has the ease of the Vintech yet the openness and clarity of the UA yet big like API

the Q of the Mids can be Wide, Normal or Sharp and the bass control can be changed from Peak to Shelving type.. Truly a unique pro studio level mic preamp
  7. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
  8. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    Well yeah then it is probably worth a shot.

Make sure you mainly like the sound of your bass because even the x73i is limited for bass. It has a shelving low control and it's mid control doesn't go all that low. Not a deal breaker because the eq is a Neve clone and sounds awesome but if you need to shape certain frequencies it might not be able to.

Also, make sure both outputs are available. That way the 1/4 could go to your amp and the XLR to the board.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: My secret is out!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I use two of those with ROS on my 4001. :bassist:

:D