11 years old

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Feb 3, 2013.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Aidan Rodriguez 11 years old.

2. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Wow, thanks for sharing that! I am envious of that kid's skills....
  3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You're welcome.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

very cool
  5. chrisrod9

chrisrod9

Thanks for posting the videos of Aidan Jauqo! Much appreciated! He's been practicing hard since NAMM. The show definitely motivated him to practice, practice, practice.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Talented little punk! ;) Funny how he didn't sound much different on the Fodera as the Lull. All in the hands? Those vids give a convincing argument that it is.
  7. ()smoke()

()smoke()

👌nice stuff!
  8. Mike M.

Mike M.

Who say's an old dog like me can't learn from a youngster? He makes it look so easy. I love hearing how good some of these kids are.

Thanks for sharing!
  9. Tupac

Tupac

Nice. Wish I had parents that pushed me into doing that...
  10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

haven't ya heard,... any eleven year old can play like that these days! they are everywhere. infact, YT has dozens of vids featuring children much younger than Alex!:hyper:
  11. chrisrod9

chrisrod9

What is YT?
  12. chrisrod9

chrisrod9

Never mind. YouTube. Got it. I would like to know what :hyper: means though.
  13. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    I had the pleasure of meeting Aidan and his Dad at our booth at the NAMM Show and my first reaction was to turn to Joey, smile and say -- man I wish I had those chops when I was eleven!

Frankly, I STILL can't nail some of the techniques that he is already using. It was really special watching him and his Dad go through the process of looking at instruments. It reminded me of spending time with my Father when I was 12 or 13 doing the same thing. I cannot wait to see what Aidan ends up doing with his talent. That said, I hope he remembers to spend plenty of time just being a kid -- we only get that chance once!

Jason
  14. Vincent P

Vincent P Supporting Member

Give the little funkmiester another 10 years and watch him really blow us away. Great video, thanks for sharing.
  15. chrisrod9

chrisrod9

Thanks for the nice comments about Aidan. I actually have a question about a new bass for him.....

He has recently started taking lessons with a well known bassist. The instructor is recommending he get a short-scale bass to better fit his hands and help to eliminate any hand development/growth issues. He is an artist endorser for a well-known manufacturer. Aidan loves the basses but they are not cheap. What are people's thoughts on spending a good amount of money on a short scale bass for him. I just don't want to spend a couple++ thousand dollars on a short scale bass that he'll only play for a short period of time (unless yhere appears to be a compelling reason to do so).

This would be a non-issue if he wasn't good. I'd just buy an inexpensive short scale bass and the problem would be solved. I think he's become pretty good and has earned a professional quality instrument. I'm just not sure paying for a professional quality instrument in a short scale format makes a lot of sense.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
  16. nrbxbuev

nrbxbuev

I am envious of that kid's skills.[​IMG]
  17. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Express your concern to artist/endorser and ask if you can trade the short scale in for a good return when he outgrows it. (seal the deal in writing to be safe)

You could also check if any TBers have a pro quality short scale bass that they may want to part with. Some of the bass collections on this forum are unreal.

Good luck!
  18. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Fantastic. Thanks.
  19. chrisrod9

chrisrod9

Thanks BossOnBass. I think his teacher would like to see him playing this particular brand. Aidan is fine playing the brand but I think he's a little bummed to go back to a short scale bass. I should clarify. He has 2 short scale basses already. One at my house and one at his moms. The one at his moms is an Ibanez Micro - basically a toy. The one at my house is a 1978 Fender Musicmaster. It's cool but it's VERY heavy. Aidan says it doesn't respond well to slapping and some of the things he's trying to do. It also doesn't stand out in his band when he's playing live.

Does anyone know how the neck width, thickness, etc. at the 1st fret on an average short scale bass compares to the specs on a full scale bass? If they are the same, I don't see how getting a short scale bass changes anything from a developmental point of view.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge here. I'm trying to learn as much as I can and just want what is best for my son. He truly loves to play bass and I'm 100% behind him.

Chris
  20. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Can he walk some standards? :cool: