115 Bass cab stopped making sound!?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dongero, Apr 12, 2014.

1. dongero

dongero

Hey there

I've looked at several threads to try and answer my question but I realize the issues I'm having are more specific than anything I've read thus far.

I recently purchased a used SWR Workingmans 4004 bass head (240w @ 8ohms/400w @ 4ohms) and a used Seismic Audio SA-115 cab (300w and I'm pretty sure its 8ohms, but PLEASE let me know if I'm wrong: http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/1x15-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet/p/SA-115#.U0isNeZdW5I)

Originally I intended to buy a second 8 ohm cab (210) to access the 4 ohm load my head offers.

After using the amp for about a week, I noticed a strange smell coming from the amp; almost like burning plastic or something.

Today I used the amp for about 10 minutes and it sounded fine up until it stopped making noise altogether.

I tried the head with a different cab and the head and speaker cable were fine. I tried another head on the sa-115 and again no sound was coming out. So I realized it was the cab that had stopped producing sound.

I opened up the cab to see if vibrations disconnected the soldering but everything appeared to be well connected and intact. Is it possible for an amp to blow and literally not make any noise as a result?

If this is the case, I'm open to advice on how to prevent this from happening again!

I run a pretty odd setup through the amp as well. I use my drums to trigger a drum module which generates sinewaves/analog synth tones; essentially I'm running an analog synth through the amp (rapid highs and super lows). I've used a Peavey TNT 115 combo in the past and never blew the speaker. It sounded pretty awful so I was hoping a more powerful setup (like the swr) would sound better and also be loud enough to match my loud drumming style.

I'm also concerned with the burning plastic smell and was wondering if that smell resulted in the cab failing, or if its a different issue I'm going to run into even after I get new cab. I had the settings on the head pretty maxed out when i first noticed the smell. Is it something that having two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm cab might help (considering I probably wouldn't have to max out the settings)?

Any suggestions would be amazing! As it stands now, I'm trying to decide on the proper cab(s) to get and would love suggestions on something thats very durable and LOUD. I'm not too concerned with tone, as I am not using the amp for bass. My ideal setup would be a 115 and 210 setup, but please let me know if you guys have any weird ideas (like the swr triad or something haha). I also play out with this setup by myself, so a light load in is pretty important.

Also if you feel like the swr isnt going to cut it for me, I'm open to different head suggestions. As a reference, the Peavey TNT was just a little to quiet for me (i believe its a 200w 8ohm amp), and pushing the amp to max resulted in some pretty farty sounds (though it never failed me once).

Sorry for the loaded question(s).
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Sounds like you burnt up the voice coil on the speaker. When that happens you've essentially melted it, it fuses and doesn't move, hence no sound. Seismic is kind of cheap stuff, and if the amp was maxed out as you say this is pretty likely.

So your options are to have the speaker reconed (probably not worth it), replace the speaker with a more robust driver (maybe worth it), or sell the empty cab for $50 on craigslist and get something that's better to start with.
  3. dongero

dongero

Alright, that makes sense. Would that explain the burning smell?

Do you have any cabinet suggestions?

Thanks
  4. David Jayne

David Jayne

Yes, blown speaker. They often smell bad when they die. You clearly need something with much better power handling. If you want decent sound on the cheap I'd go for a good used 4x10 cab.
  5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If you're on a budget, maybe a used GK Backline 4x10. Just be aware that "maxing out" all the knobs on your head will probably blow any speaker cab eventually.