1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

115 GAS

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GrandLowBass, Nov 23, 2012.

1. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass

The last few times I've visited my local GC I ended up playing a cheap Ibanez sixer through a Peavey TNT 115 combo. Man oh man, do I love that tone! As time has progressed, this little fling has turned into straight-up GAS. As a result of this experience, I plan to buy a six string SX that I like quite well from another store in the near future. I love the solid construction of SX basses (and of course the price) and their 6 string jazzes are pretty nifty looking. Hooray for more strings!

Now a rig makeover is up for consideration. I currently play through a Carvin BX500 and Hartke 210 cabs. I love the clarity of 10's but that Ibanez sounds sooo great and defined through the TNT; it blew my mind. So here's the question:

Do I follow my ears and first hand experience and grab the newer model, used Peavey TNT combo or do I pickup a 15 inch cabinet sight unseen? I'm looking to go used, but would consider new. I'm also really interested in what people have to say about the tonal qualities of Peavey's headliner cab, as well as a Hartke 115 cab. Thanks! :bassist:

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Drag your rig down to the GC and try the Ibanez and SX through it. Adding odd cabs is a crapshoot and results in many a satisfied player but never as clear as matched cabs.

15's don't have the dispersion of 10's. If you're gigging with vocal PA you are better off with the 2x10's for even sound in the room.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Don't judge all 115 cabs by the TNT. The only generalization you can make about speaker sizes is that you can't make any generalizations. If you could, then all speakers of a given size would sound identical. But some are awesome and some suck no matter what size the speakers are.

4. Tim1

Tim1

FWIW I prefer a good 115 over a 210 cab, but it does come down to personal preference and Downunderwonder is right that you should try it out. Jimmy is also right(as usual) that there can be a huge difference between different makes and models of the same size. If you are looking for recommendations (and you probably aren't but here goes anyway) I am particularly partial to my GK neo115iii.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Russell L

Russell L

It may be that the "built in eq" for that TNT combo is what you're actually liking, not necessarily the cab or speaker itself. I'm not sayin' that's so, but just sayin'. And, sometimes when you think a 15 sounds deeper than, say, a 210, it may be that it's just because it's in a bigger box. Or, it could be the speaker design. But, there are also 15s that sound higher than 10s. LOTS of parameters to consider.

7. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass

Tim1, I'm always happy to take recommendations! :) Unfortunately, I've played through a lot of GK stuff, even owned an MB115, and I've never been in love with it.

Everyone else, thanks for affirming my instincts. I think I'll get the SX, play it through my rig for a while, and see how I like the response. But if I'm still craving that Peavey thunder, I'll go give the SX a few test runs in my local shops.

I've always been wary of Peavey products because anything made this century tends to let me down. Does anyone have long-term experience with Peavey amps made in the last decade? I want the beast to last.

8. eriky4003

eriky4003

The Hartke Hydrive 115 has gotten good reviews. The cone is fused metal & paper which is supposed to give you the best of both worlds. If you purchased and didn't like, you should be able to return and give more thought to what sound you'd prefer (matching 210?).

9. rodl2005

rodl2005

Peavey build their gear solid!
    If u like the combo, get it.
    I'd try to take it for a test run 1st, preferably away from the store, with yr band.
    Rigs often sound very diffrrent outta the store.

10. dhomer

dhomer

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    Find a good used TNT, take the amp out, put a more modern 115 under it.. Can't say any more w/out enraging the mods...lol...

11. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass

Ericky, I'm still in love with my entry level Hartke 210's so I can only assume the Hydrives would be even better! Definitely an option, but I haven't found one in stores :meh:

Thanks rod. You bring up a great point, I may be falling in love with GC's acoustic environment :eek: I'll be sure I buy from someone with a decent return policy.

dhomer, I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down ;) Have you ever removed an amp from a combo? If so, how much work needed to be done before it was compatible with stand-alone cabs?

12. dhomer

dhomer

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    I have two transitions pretty much underway.. Extracting amps from combos ain't hard at all.. And it ain't too difficult to improve on the speaker end of it either.. you can add a little lumber to existing proven designs and create a better combo..

13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

If you love the Ibanez sixer (SX?) through a Peavey TNT 115 combo you should just get them and be happy. :)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/just-case-you-forgot-15s-rule-895564/

14. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass

Well now you've got me all excited to rip into an amp! Luckily, I have an old blown Acoustic amp I can practice on.

Ha! Sorry for the confusion. I love the Ibanez through the Peavey, but I also love an SX six string jazz at another store. So I plan to buy the SX (which I prefer ergonomically) and perhaps grab the TNT later. Thanks for the link as well! :bassist: