12+15 / twelve inch speaker with fifteen inch speakers ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dinosaur Punk, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Dinosaur Punk

Dinosaur Punk A dinosaur that likes punk music, or vice-versa? Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Cabinets
    Is anyone here using 12 inch speaker cabinets with a 15 inch speaker cabinets?

I tried searching on here, and scanned through a bunch of headers. Didn't see anyone talking about this particular combination.

Seems like it would be meat + gravy, no?

Too much of a good thing?

I get plenty of definition from the 12's I run. Wouldn't mind adding a 15 for this one band I am in that likes, ermmm, "ample" stage volume.

There is also the very expensive way to raise the speakers closer to my ear aspect too.

Anyone using this combination? How's it sound?
  2. MrMcHaggis

MrMcHaggis

I actually did try it just resently!

I hooked up a GK 1001RB (model 1) to a GK Neo 112-II and an SWR workingman's 1x15.

I used it in a small room (approx bedroom sized) in a 3 piece metal band (moderate volume for metal) and personally? I actually rather like it.

I think the 15" gives plenty of big round bottom, while the 12" sort of fills in everything else. Use tweeters for sparkle as necessary.

I didn't originally purchase the rig to play as such, but had it all I'm the same room by chance and tried it out.

I wouldn't say I like it more than my Markbass 410/115 (I know, I know, the famous "don't mix drivers" point) combination, but it does sound good to my ears! And the two cabs come up to the size of about a 610, pretty nifty!

I say give it a shot, it's an unlikely combination with pleasing results!
  3. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

I would tend to discourage this sort of driver mixing, except that I tried it last weekend, and liked it.
    A Mesa PH112 on top of an old Mesa 115, with an EV speaker. Sounded freakin' fantastic everywhere in the room.
  4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Baldwin and Vox used to mix a 12 and a 15. Now days, a fEARful 12/6 can work well with a fEARful 15sub, or even a 15/6. Other random combinations are governed by Duke's Law.

"If it sounds good, it is good." —Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

IMO, mixing a 12 + 15 is like wearing two pair of thermal leggings.
    The bottom is over done, and top isn't properly covered.

As noted above, two different drivers covering the same range will have a smearing effect.
    If you need to reinforce the lows, add another identical driver.

12" and 15" drivers are not optimum for producing highs.
    If they were, there would be no 6" mid-range or tweeters in use.
  7. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I have used a Trii-115 and a Mini12+L .. the one with the tweeter and it sounded good to me but generally it is one or the other... or the two 12s.
  8. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I believe Norm Stockton does it with a GK rig - a 212 NEO and a 115 NEO with a 1001RB-II biamped. Check him out on YouTube.
  9. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I mix a 115 combo with a 118 cab. It sounds awesome but the highs only exist in this tiny sliver if space in front of the cabs.
  10. Arjank

Arjank

I see no use in mixing 12 and 15's other then going after a certain signature sound.....trial 'n error....if you stumble upon some 12/15 combination that sounds like heaven to you, then go for it ;)
  11. nysbob

nysbob

Works well for me. Go vertical, though! ;)

Attached Files:

12. Dinosaur Punk

Dinosaur Punk A dinosaur that likes punk music, or vice-versa? Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yeah I was definitely thinking vertical array. Cool.
  13. Dinosaur Punk

Disclosures:
    After posting this I realized I have already done this.

I used to run a Genz Benz Uber Quad on top of a Genz Benz 115. (I never really think of the "Quad" as a 12, but it does have a 12 driver). That combo totally worked for me.

My original post was more along the lines of a 115 + a 112 (or even 2-115's + 2-112's) - the idea being a completely modular rig that can grow in speaker footage as I need it.
  14. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Don't see the point in mixing speaker sizes.

If the cab you have "needs" a different speaker to bring out some missing frequencies, then your original cab is bad and needs replacing.

Why risk the possibility of summing and destructive frequencies changing your sound out in the room.
    johnpbass likes this.
  15. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

If the 12 and the 15 are very carefully voiced and designed to sound the same and work together, it will work fine in a vertical array. A Greenboy Bassic 112 and 115 stacked comes to mind, or maybe a Bag End S12 and S15 cab stacked.

Other combinations will be a crap shoot. Might sound great, might not.
  16. nysbob

nysbob

I've played several hundred shows with this rig and managed to keep destructive frequencies to a minimum. :rolleyes:

The 15"s move a lot of air down low. The 12"s are very light and responsive celestions. They work quite well together.
    hover likes this.
  17. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

I use a fEARful 12/6 and 15/6 together, but they were designed to be paired. I don't think I would try it with standard-brand cabs.
  18. DogBone

DogBone

I don't know if there's any advantage or not.

There's good and bad sounding cabs with all sorts of driver sizes. Not sure if it's doing yourself justice to make assumptions about the sound of any particular size driver, it's only one ingredient in a larger cabinet pie.

But to answer your question, this guy uses 12" drivers over 15" drivers, and it seems to work for him:

[​IMG]
    KingKrabb likes this.
  19. mgbass

mgbass

Love my GK Neo 2-12 and Neo 1-15 cabs, they work together quite well. I spoke with the GK folks and this combo is one of their favorites and they turn allot of players on to this combination. Great tone.
    MG
  20. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

I think the speaker/acoustic physics crowd here tend to suggest that drivers that close in size (12" - 15") are not well suited for each other. I seem to recall that the theoretical optimum is for the smaller driver to be approx 1/2 the size of the larger.

Also, so much of this has to do with the cabinets themselves, not just the drivers in them.

All that being said, I have quite happily used a Mesa Walkabout 12 + Walkabout/Scout 15 in the past with very nice results. And, of course, listening with your ears, and not your eyes; if it sounds good, it IS good.
  21. OldSchool50

OldSchool50 OldSchool50 Supporting Member

The eternal debate: To mix or not to mix? Maybe this will re-ignite the thread. After mixing and liking the result, I found this thread and decided to weigh in.

I decided to try a Berg HT112 and a Markbass NY115 (with a replaced Faital driver), using a GK 500 MB Fusion. Have to admit it sounds pretty darn good. Seems to produce what people discuss in theory -- great, deep bottom and articulate mids and highs. The horns on both cabs are turned way down, but I will experiment with different settings. These are both excellent cabinets alone and together they add a third dimension that's hard to describe but I like it.

Have a second HT112 coming and will report how those two together compare with the above mentioned pairing.