12/6/1 cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hobbes1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. hobbes1

hobbes1

Ok. I've been searching around here and not finding what I'm looking for. Can you guys (and gals) give me your best info on who makes bass cabs in the 12/6/1 configuration?

I know about fEarfuls, nEarfuls, LDS etc. I know about the Baer ML112 (looks really great!!).

Who else makes this format? Any other companies out there?

Thanks
  2. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Just curious - what are you not finding among the choices that you mentioned? Is there something different in particular that you're after in a 12/6/1 format that none of these deliver (even with the flexibility LDS offers)?

Are you aware of the fEarless line of cabs that greenboy has designed? That line includes a 12/5/1.

I think the Baer is actually 12/6, but that 6 goes up pretty high.

I think Barefaced still makes a 12/6/1 called the Big Baby T, though it may have been replaced by the Big Baby 2, the latter being a 12/1 where the "1" is a high quality prosound-style horn.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    AccuGroove
  4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

LoPhat AX112 3 Way
    (They look well engineered and use premium drivers, but for some reason are rarely mentioned in the same breath as the usual boutique cab making TB favourites.)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hobbes1

hobbes1

Thanks all for chiming I so far!

Duke: I'm looking at a Carvin MB12 and wondering what else is in that compact form factor and also looking for most bang per buck. I'm not sure about that downward angled woofer though..
  7. hobbes1

hobbes1

The LoPhat cabs look great but the cost is out of my league. Thanks though.

I'll check out the Accugroove site....

Edit: those cabs look great but Accugroove and Fearless are still $1k so way out of my budget. Thanks for the ideas though!
  8. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    fearful 12/6 diy is a whole lot less than $1k.
  9. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I have zero experience with that little Carvin combo, but doubt you'll find more bang for the buck. I don't think I could build a 12/6/1 cab and sell it for that price, even with inexpensive drivers, and they give you the cab plus built-in amp.

As for the down-angled woofer, I don't think it's a problem. You see, you get an immediate upbounce off the bottom shelf of the cab as well as off the floor just in front of the cab, so your lower-midrange coverage should be fine. A few years ago I came close to building a two-woofer cab that had one of the woofers angled down like that. The radiation pattern actually modeled slightly better in some ways than with both woofers firing straight ahead.
  10. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    We did indeed replace the Big Baby T (12/6/1) with the Big Baby 2 because it was outperformed in every way by the new model! The key thing with the various 12/6/1 models out there is that most of them use very good 12" drivers, some identical to the 12" we used in the old Big Baby T. It took an awful lot of work to make an even higher output driver for the Big Baby 2!
  11. hobbes1

hobbes1

@Alex: your cabs also look great and I'm sure sound wonderful, too. Unfortunately for me, the price remains around $1K and so they are out of my range.

@Duke: thanks for your perspective on that. So far, I'm not seeing many other choices and none in that price range. Of course, there is an added benefit that if I bought from Carvin, it would be supporting a USA company and jobs (not knocking our UK brethren at all! my own ancestry is from across the pond :)

The Baer ML112 looks to be the closest step up from the Carvin, in a prebuilt cab and is a fair bit less expensive than the other competition up there.....
  12. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Build a 12/6(1) fEARful yourself - built mine for about 600 euros
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good suggestions so far. I would add Xsonics to the list, although the 1125TF uses a 5" Faital Pro, and not a 6" driver.

Here are links to various Bass Gear Magazine reviews which might be helpful:

Xsonics 1125TF
    Baer ML-112
    fEARful 12/6cube/1
  14. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Are you a DIY type? Start with an Avatar SB-112 ($289 new, but they can be found used for less; I paid $170). Replace the tweeter with an Eminence closed basket 6" (LA6-CBMR), $45 new, plus a new high-pass filter (I used the Eminence 1.6k, PXB:1K6), $25 new. (There is enough room to [keep the tweeter and] add the 6, so you'd have the 12-6-1, and use a different crossover; but I do not miss the tweeter one bit.) This is an easy project and the results are truly outstanding for the money.

I'm sure the gear-heads (no disrespect intended) can tell me why this particular project sucks, but I don't have golden ears, and I've received many positive comments from my fellow musicians about this cabinet.
  15. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm a big believer in buying used. Let someone else take the depreciation hit...;)
  16. hobbes1

hobbes1

Thanks daveman50; I actually already have an SB112 Neo cab that I like, so this is a possibility. Thanks for the thoughts.
  17. hobbes1

hobbes1

yep. me too. it's very rare for me to buy any gear new. The Carvin MB12 isn't terribly expensive though, even new, compared to it's competitors and as noted earlier, they throw in an amp too! It would be better still if there were other jacks in the cab to be able to bypass the included amp and use what I already have (GB Shuttle 6).

Thanks for your thoughts.
  18. hobbes1

hobbes1

Thanks Tom. I really enjoy your publication! I'll check out the Xsonics cab you mentioned. Thanks for your thoughts!
  19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

As a Carvin fan, the MB12 is a great little combo for the price and the speakers handle the 200w (internal power) nicely but don't try to compare it to a Super 12 (Baer, AudioKinesis, fEARful, LowPhat, Xsonics, ACME....) with a 500w microhead on it, especially if it's a 4 ohm cab that can handle 500 watts.
  20. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Dropping that Carvin combo on top of the Avatar 12 might make for a nice little modular stack as well.
  21. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

My MB10 sits on my Avatar SB112 at rehearsal and sounds great.