12" or 10"?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bigft14CM, Aug 22, 2013.

1. bigft14CM

bigft14CM

I've been looking into the RS210 and RS212 by TC Electronic. Unfortunately there are no stores around me (akron, ohio) that have them for me to play to compare and contrast.

I've read some of the forums about these, but none really go into detail in the differences in the tone and sound between these two cabs? Is the tone of the 12"s deeper or fuller, or are the speakers just pushing more air?

To put all of this in context, I mostly play Gospel, Blues and Jazz.
  2. MVE

MVE Supporting Member

I dont have any direct exp with the TCs, but a 212 will almost always be louder and fuller than a 210.
    If you are planning on playing out with only a single cab, then the 212 is definately the way to go. If you were thinking of getting a pair of either of them, then it is a matter of taste.
  3. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

I don't have any personal experience with TC amps and cabs, but thought I'd chime in on the issue anyway.

Size of speaker does not have a correlation to the amount of "low end" a cab will provide - the sound of a cab is all in the tuning of the cab.

That being said, I am a 12" speaker kind of guy, as I find them an excellent compromise of power / volume and portability. A 2x12 will generally be louder than a 2x10 (and I need that volume with the gigs I play), and - in my experience - it's easier to move around than a 4x10 or 2x15.
  4. bigft14CM

bigft14CM

I'm actually thinking about getting 2 cabs and then maaaaaaaaybe another 2 (for a total of 4). I play at several places and it'd be nice not to have to lug arround cabs all the time.

If they are voiced the same and the tone sounds the same i think i'll get 12"s for the extra volume.

Would love to hear from some folks who have used these before.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Grunigen

David Grunigen

I have been using a hartke 2200 2X12 for the past five years as my main cabinet, and have loved it. All the volume and punch I need. i recently bought a new 1X15 neo hartke cab, which I was hoping would be lighter, but its really almost the same. If i could run them together, I would, but the ohmage doesn't match...
  7. MVE

MVE Supporting Member

"If they are voiced the same and the tone sounds the same..."

Yeah, almost certainly not.

Its something that is really a matter of taste, so you really need to try them out or just close your eyes jump off the cliff into the darkness of the night and hope for the best. lol.

They (the TCs) are both pretty good quality cabs so you will almost certainly be happy with either.

Personally, I prefer 12s.
  8. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

I love 12s, been using them for about 4 years now. Did the 10 and 15 thing for years and years. I think they sound great. I'm also in Akron btw... Stow actually. There's been a guy on the Mansfield Craigslist trying to sell a peavey 4x12 for the last 4 months, for $250. I you won't have to move it a lot I'd snatch it up, those cabs sound amazing but are very large and heavy.
  9. bigft14CM

bigft14CM

@runmikeyrun I've tried 10's, 12's and 15's from Hartke, i like the 10's, love the 12's... hate the 15's, they sound muddy to me

I guess I'm worried that the 12's may sound muddy? I have half a mind to buy one of each and sell or return the cab I like the least.

Oh yeah, bumping for more TC Electronic owners to give input
  10. grey area

grey area

hi.
    KJUNG gives a pretty good description of what to expect from the TC RS 210 on a recent thread about a lightweight rig. sorry i cant put the link up from my phone. i have the 210 and i love it but am useless at giving you a tech style rundown of the sound. suffice to say its got plenty of everything and i should imagine the 212 has even more. has a great finish also.
    good luck
  11. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

What do you mean by "ohmage doesn't match" ?

The Hx115 has an impedance of 8Ω and the 2200 is 4Ω which means each 12 is an 8Ω driver. That looks OK to me. The 2200 is rated to handle 300W and the Hx115 is rated for 500W so, with the cabinets in parallel, 450W will be the limit of all three together because the 12s handle 150W and will get one third of the power.

The only issue I see is the resulting impedance will be 2.7Ω which can be a problem if your amp is only rated for 4. At low volume it will likely be OK but it's risky and not recommended

There is also the point that who knows how they will sound together? I don't but you'll never find out unless you try them.
  12. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

The peavey cab has a tweeter with l-pad. I have no problems getting my 12s to cut through, but not all cabs are created equal.

Oh I said Peavey, you said Hartke... ? In any event, looks like dude finally sold his cab.

I hope ya find what you're looking for. I don't think I've ever seen anyone playing a TC cab out :(
  13. grey area

grey area

well it looks like i'm the only one here with a TC RS cab. i have just ordered the RS212. it should be here next week so i will side by side it with the 210 and let you know what i think. be aware that i cant use descriptions like " mid heavy, extended lows, scooped high mids or any of those other tech terms, i leave that to the guys here that understand that stuff. i WILL let you know if it sounds good though and attempt to distinguish the differences between the two cabs.
  14. grey area

grey area

theres an old thread from 2010 on both these cabs. i only found it by googleing TC RS 212cabs and took the talkbass links that came up