12 unreleased Jimi Hendrix songs to debut March 5

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Richland123, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Richland123

Richland123

12 unreleased Jimi Hendrix songs to debut March 5

The musician's website says "People, Hell and Angels" contains 12 previously unreleased tracks recorded in 1968 and '69.

Hendrix recorded the songs apart from the Jimi Hendrix Experience as he considered new, experimental directions for his follow-up to "Electric Ladyland." He plays keyboards, percussion and a second guitar on the album.

Here is a clip of the lead single, "Somewhere," a track that features Stephen Stills on bass guitar and Buddy Miles on drums.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/v...ple-hell-and-angels-single-somewhere-20121127

[​IMG]

2. alan_hill

alan_hill

The gift that keeps on giving.

3. pnut166

pnut166

I think this clip sounds pretty good. However, I`ve also seen a lot of people that have supposedly heard other stuff from the album ripping it as polished up / pieced together demos. Either way, I`m interested in hearing it :)

4. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

Interesting, the lyrics in the clip of "Somewhere" are also part of Earth Blues from the Fillmore East performances.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FatAndy

FatAndy

I hope it's better than the last one, which the Man himself would NEVER have released.

7. mc_muench

mc_muench

Cool dude, more Jimi, who can argue about that.

8. Rocker949

Rocker949

This is just my opinion, but I doubt that it will be better than Valleys of Neptune and will most likely be quite a bit worse. I'm basing this on a number of comments I've read about the album.

9. mcm

mcm

Damn can't they just leave that man alone. Greedy mothers

10. Rocker949

Rocker949

Only when the sun burns out approximately 5 billion years from now.

11. driftingupward

driftingupward Gold Supporting Member

As far as I'm concerned, I hope they do keep putting his stuff out. I can't think of any of his stuff that isn't at least good, and most of it is great.

12. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass Supporting Member

An opinion based on others opinions? *** is this, politics!? ;)

2nd and 3rd derivatives of truth are exactly that. I trust my ears and mine alone.

BTW, like Eddie indicated, I also love Jimmy's voice. Man, if there is a beyond, I hope we two airborne flunkies can hang out and jamm!

13. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

From that snippet I'm half expecting the "unreleased songs" to be, once again, alternate versions of previous songs. Just a different line-up, slightly different production etc. They're just building hype in order to make money off of his (perhaps deservedly) unreleased catalogue. Not only is that another version of "Earth Blues", it is lyrically the same to "Somewhere over the Rainbow" from the album 'Crash Landing'. Granted, that whole album is a throw together of a studio outtakes etc, with overdubs and the whole works, but "new" and "unreleased songs", this album will not be.

14. Rocker949

Rocker949

I've just talked to a good friend about it. He knows more about Hendrix than anyone I've ever been in contact with. He even knew some of the key players, like members of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, etc. But the point is, I do value his opinion. He says it will probably at least be as good as "Valleys of Neptune." So, I will try to give it a chance, although ultimately I'll also just have to rely on my own ears.

Somehow I think you have misinterpreted my post. Without hard info, it's kind of hard to do anything but have opinions based on other opinions. I wouldn't compare that to politics, something I detest, by the way. It's just that I have the opportunity sometimes to be around Hendrix aficionados. So, sometimes I do listen to what they say. At other times, I don't because they can be wrong as often as they're right.

As for Jimi's voice, I'm not sure why a comment is being made about that to me. But here is my "opinion" on that. I have always been a defender of Jimi's singing. Like Noel Redding noted in his book, Jimi's voice was critical to their sound. There are some critics of his voice, but I'm definitely not one of them.