1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

12 Year Old Jamming

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chrisrod9, Dec 29, 2013.

1. chrisrod9

chrisrod9

I initially posted this in the Bassists section but someone suggested I post it here to garner some more feedback.

Here's a little video of my 12 year old son jamming on bass with a pretty incredible drummer at Guitar Center earlier this week. They're just making it up on the spot. Curious what you think. I'm pretty proud. :) It gets pretty good around 3:15.

http://youtu.be/jsEISUmm5xU

Thanks for watching.

Chris

2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

That's awesome!
    Now buy the junk and get a practice space;)

3. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Fun jam man. You should be proud!!!

4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Curius to what I think??? I'm thinking why is the price tag still hanging on that bass...Seems it was made for him :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chrisrod9

chrisrod9

Thanks for the replies guys!

7. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

He sounds fantastic. I'm impressed that he has the ears he needs to play with another person at that age - I see too many YouTube videos of kids in their basement playing along to CDs.

Please create every possible opportunity for him to play with people. His ideas are pretty pentatonic right now - if he can surround himself with some people who will tech him different note choices, who knows what might happen.

EDIT: I just put two and two together and realized you and I had already had a conversation here about your son. Looks like he is continuing to progress!

8. chrisrod9

chrisrod9

Thank you for the feedback. I'll share it with him and also mention it to his teacher. He does play in a band and also jams with another one of his friends that plays drums. Clearly, he gets much more out of playing with older, more advanced players than he does playing with other kids.

EDIT: WJGreer - I remember. He does continue to improve. It's really fun to watch. Thanks for your advice again. - Chris

9. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Kid's a monster, no other way to slice it. Keep with it!

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Your kid is a solid player, and I am not going to follow that with "for his age."

That drummer is nuts though, total monster. Would kill to jam with that guy.

11. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

very cool indeed, keep it up

12. chrisrod9

chrisrod9

The drummer is incredible. No two ways about it. Thanks for your comments guys. Makes a dad feel proud!