14 year old barely played strings. Change?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by chris4001asat, Feb 15, 2014.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Hi all, I've searched and haven't found this topic before. I bought my double @ 2000, and put new strings on it. Thomastic Spirocore if I remember correctly. The bass then pretty much sat there, and I would fool around with it once in awhile. I've now joined a band where I use it exclusively. The E string doesn't have a lot of volume to it, compared to the others. Will just sitting there for 14 years "wear them out". I just had a setup done it as well.

2. jtlownds

jtlownds

Spirocores wear like iron, they are probably just fine. My backup bass is currently wearing a set of Spiro wiechs that were installed in 1994, and have seen some pretty heavy use. I have no intensions of swapping them out any time soon.

3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Concur.

Since you're playing it a lot now I would suggest taking your bass to the luthier for a check up- not just of the strings, but of the over all health of the instrument. It's a good thing to do! :cool:

Welcome back to the dark side! :)

Joe

4. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Your old Spirocores should be fine. I used mine for more than 20 years (with some longer periods with less playing or not playing at all). I still kept them because they bow so nice now (for Spirocores).
    If you don't like your E now, get a new one. It should be no problem after it was played in to combine with the old strings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassist1962

bassist1962

Take it to a luthier. The strings should be fine, but the set up may need some tweaking.

7. bskts247

bskts247

It also depends where you live. Living in New Orleans I find (as do a few friends) that if you are playing outside down here a lot the strings lose their life after about a year (where as my friend in boston has the same set for 4 years and they sound better than my 1 year old set).