1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

14 year old barely played strings. Change?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by chris4001asat, Feb 15, 2014.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Hi all, I've searched and haven't found this topic before. I bought my double @ 2000, and put new strings on it. Thomastic Spirocore if I remember correctly. The bass then pretty much sat there, and I would fool around with it once in awhile. I've now joined a band where I use it exclusively. The E string doesn't have a lot of volume to it, compared to the others. Will just sitting there for 14 years "wear them out". I just had a setup done it as well.
  2. jtlownds

jtlownds

Spirocores wear like iron, they are probably just fine. My backup bass is currently wearing a set of Spiro wiechs that were installed in 1994, and have seen some pretty heavy use. I have no intensions of swapping them out any time soon.
  3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Concur.

Since you're playing it a lot now I would suggest taking your bass to the luthier for a check up- not just of the strings, but of the over all health of the instrument. It's a good thing to do! :cool:

Welcome back to the dark side! :)

Joe
  4. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Your old Spirocores should be fine. I used mine for more than 20 years (with some longer periods with less playing or not playing at all). I still kept them because they bow so nice now (for Spirocores).
    If you don't like your E now, get a new one. It should be no problem after it was played in to combine with the old strings.
  5. bassist1962

bassist1962

Take it to a luthier. The strings should be fine, but the set up may need some tweaking.
  6. bskts247

bskts247

It also depends where you live. Living in New Orleans I find (as do a few friends) that if you are playing outside down here a lot the strings lose their life after about a year (where as my friend in boston has the same set for 4 years and they sound better than my 1 year old set).