1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

15/6 Tube

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tractorr, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Tractorr

Tractorr

I see these advertised but I have never actually seen one. I don't think any of the authorized builders have a picture on their websites.

So does anybody have 15/6 tube version?

What do you think?

Have you compared it to the standard 15/6? If so any differences you can here? I know they are supposed to be almost the same but in the real world that doesn't always happen.

Do you have pics? I would like to see what it actually looks like.
  2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I can't think that a cabinet designed to handle such hi power at such low frequencies would be very suitable for a lowish power tube amp.
    Whatever they did to it almost all it's advantages occur at very high power in watts RMS:bassist:
    Perhaps to use all the spare X Max you will need one of these bad boys:
    [​IMG]
    :D
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Identical sound to the standard 15/6. This particular one was built by jHawk. And for the record, tube amps and fEARful's are a great pairing.
  4. JMac4strngr

JMac4strngr 4th degree Slacker Supporting Member

Here's Mine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Based on what I know about greenboy and the way he designed these cabs, the only significant difference between the regular 15/6 and the "tube" version is the shape of the box. The Tube is wider to better fit wider tube amps.

If you're standing right up against the cab, there might be a small difference in what you hear because each box has a different height.
  6. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    What is the SPL 1 watt one mtr of a 750 watt rated tube fearful15/6 without removing the midrange pad and including all passive crossover losses including the inductors please.
    Correct me if I am wrong but is it in fact a good bit less apparently loud than an old school two by fifteen offering the same stage footprint with a pair of k140's.
    As much as 3dB or half the available power or would that in fact be a little more in real terms?.:bassist:
  7. CL400Peavey

At what frequency?

I know its splitting hairs, but if you are referencing narrow frequency band then we need to be specific. Are there more sensitive cabinets? sure, but thats like saying the most sensitive compression driver would be best because it gets louder with less power. Of course that doesnt take in to account the frequencies that a bassist would want.

More interesting would be if you took the integration of the frequency response charts, for both cabs, from 35hz to 20kHz. Is that a better judge of capability? Dont know, but it would be interesting. Or maybe we should measure off axis response from 1kHz and up?

Point is IME a tube head pairs very well with a fEARful. I have used the same head with an 810, and used different heads with both cabs, and I still pick the fEARful.
  8. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    It's appears to me that its the fearful crew that are talking about a very narrow band of frequencies, those below 100Hz to be precise.
    After all much above 300Hz it's quickly becoming an attenuated one by 6" + 1" horn cab isn't it.
    You still didn't give me the SPL figures averaged in the way JBL measured theirs if you like.:D
  9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

While not the 15/6 tube directly, I have used a tube head with several 3015lf and 3012lf loaded 3 way cabs. All perform and sound great.

Don't listen with paper. It reminds me of many years ago when I bought my first Acme LowB2. Dozen of members warned that I would need at least 500-1000 watts to run that cab. ;).
  10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

Most fEarful designs cross over around 800 hz.
  11. adbass

adbass Supporting Member

12. CL400Peavey

The plans are free, please build one and takes these measurements in your studio. I do not have access to that sort of equipment. What I do have access to are my own ears.
  13. derridiandrift

derridiandrift

I have a 15/6/1 built by LDS. Not a fEarful, but the same drivers. I use it with a tube amp and it sounds great. I also built a fEarful 15/6 tube and it sounds great too. The only difference that I'm aware of between the "tube" and regular fEarfuls is that the cab is more square than tall and slim in order to hold the wider case of most tube amps. I think he simply changed the geometry of the box while keeping the volume of everything the same, but I could be wrong.
  14. rpsands

rpsands

The measured sensitivity ought to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 97db or some-odd.

I wouldn't use just one with a tube head personally. I do use a 1515/66 with my Hexavalve all the time however and it's plenty loud.
  15. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    That's very correct :)
  16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Do you use it with your V4B?
    I wanted a 151566 to use with my 100T but I read they need a lot of power to sound good.
  17. CL400Peavey

There is no minimum power requirement to make these cabs sound good.
  18. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    I am quite sure that fearful design cabs sound very good and have very good off axis response the only problem that I can see in low wattage tube amp terms.:bassist:
  19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

Yes, but owners of these cabs that have played them with tube amps are telling you that no such problem exists.
  20. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I couldn't get by with a band using a 97 dB@1w cab and a low wattage tube amp myself. If I was to buy a fearful, it wouldn't be to use it with low wattage tube amps though. ;)