15" cab help...Trace 1153 vs Ampeg SVT115E

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HillBillyWannaB, Dec 27, 2012.

1. HillBillyWannaB

HillBillyWannaB

I'm looking for a single 15" cab to take to smaller gigs. Tired of lugging around my 4x10 (Trace 1048). I'd probably pair them together for larger gigs. I run a Trace elliott AH600SM with the GP7 Preamp (300w).

I'm between the Ampeg SVT115E and the Trace elliott 1153. I can get either one for around $200. I'm leaning towards the Ampeg only because of some good reviews and for something different. The 1153 is appealing too in order to have everything match, but ultimately I want a good all around 1x15 since I'd be using that almost exclusively.

Just looking for your opinions.

Thanks.
  2. Versatek6

Versatek6 Supporting Member

Go Trace.

Better wood in the cabinet, and a very nice sound. Better sounding than the newer 1518.

I wish I could find one at that price to go with my 715X!

Good luck!
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Buy whichever sounds best, but I would not recommend pairing a 1x15 with a 4x10, no matter how popular that may be. Plenty of info in the amps forum for the reason why.
  4. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Go with the Trace. The Ampeg is a fine cab, but as you know the TE is practically bulletproof and VERY efficient. As a Trace user it's my very biased .2 worth.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That used to be true, but no more. Since 2006, Ampeg went back to plywood for their cabs after using OSB since the early 90's. All the Heritage, Classic and B series cabs use baltic birch, the Portaflex cabs use poplar, and the 210av uses birch.

Don't know much about the new Trace stuff, but I must admit a fondness for cabs that match the head. 115e's a killer cab, though.
  7. HillBillyWannaB

HillBillyWannaB

I do like the quality of the Trace stuff, heard good things about the SVT classic cab though. Now I'm really not sure.
  8. vin*tone

vin*tone

They're both awesome cabs. I've always loves the warm smooth fatness that oozes out of the SVT 115E.
  9. zachoff

zachoff

My backup/medium rig is an SVT210 & SVT115. I mic the 115. It's a great sounding cab. No experience w/ the Trace cab.
  10. 77jazz

77jazz Supporting Member

I purchased a Bag End 1X15 because of the super tiny footprint.
    I then purchased a new Peavey BW 15 4 0hm speaker to replace the original.

Now I have a tiny 15, that handles 400+ watts and is rated at 4 0hms so I get to use all of my amps power. And paired with my GK MB Fusion head, the tone is unreal, and the volume is huge. All told I spent less than $350.00 and it is now my main cab. Even though I play in a loud 80's rock band, I have plenty of volume.