1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

-15 Db Pad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thejamesjordan, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

I have an active bass, and several studios I go too have amps with the -15 Db button. My understanding is that you are supposed to activate this when you are using an active bass right?

My problem is it cuts volume so significantly that I find myself on max volume and high gain to get anything near a good sound.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
  2. Dave the Bass

Dave the Bass

I hardly ever use the pad switch when using an active bass........I just reduce the gain a little bit so I don't clip the amp.
  3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

It is there in case you need it. Sounds like you don't need it so switch it out.

Ken
  4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

No. That's based on the completely wrong assumption that active basses have significantly higher output than passive basses. I have played active basses since 1979, and none have been any louder than my passive ones. And none have come close to the output of an early '80s G&L L-1000 passive ass.

John
  5. cableguy

cableguy

My Spectors clip my GK pre-amp (2001RBP) with out the pad. With the pad it does cut to much. It's -15db as well. I pretty much don't use it anymore which is too bad because it sounded great with my other basses. With my old Peavey preamp it's pad is 6db which works well. My Ampeg SVP has a pad but also a gain control so it doen't seem to matter. That and tubes clipping and SS clipping are two completely different sounds. And JTE my 81 G&L L-1000 is hot but nowhere near as hot as my Spectors. So to me a pad of about 7.5db would be perfect. But maybe somebody has basses that have more output that need that much of a pad. I guess maybe when you use the studio in question bring your own amp or direct box.