1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

15 " driver for vintage tone

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by morebass!, Mar 31, 2014.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

Looking for recommendations on a driver for my empty Trace Elliot 1x15 cab - internal volume 3.0 cu ft., 2x4 in ports. Want it to go low but not crazy low. Thick and quick like my B15N. Smooth and subtle on top. 4 ohms would be nice for my Walkabout. Could go sealed as these ports would be easy to block.

2. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

3. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

You said you wanted vintage tone? I'd go for an EV EVM15B.

4. headband

headband

EVM 15L is a great speaker, too. They were the OEM speakers for Mesa's Road Ready 2x15 cabs, and also were a standard in the Electrovoice TL-606 cabs (of which the Mesa cab was based on).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. morebass!

I've used EV 15Ls and liked them but they don't go low at all. Nice rough rock n' roll tone but I'm looking for a little more thump.

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

This would be my recommendation too.

8. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

The Electro-Voice EVM-15B was a different speaker than the 15L. The 15L had a lighter cone that gave it more upper-mid response and it wasn't good for bass. The 15B was tuned for bass and if you put one in a properly tuned box, it did an excellent job of providing solid bass. Although I don't use it anymore, I still have one in an old combo amp I have.

The 15B sounds solid, smooth and clean - it's definitely vintage tone.

9. CL400Peavey

I would also take a look at the Peavey 1505 black widows.

10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Your B-15N(C) has a cabinet design that creates that "vintage tone". Of all the bass cabinets I've owned, it's sound
    is unique. Just my take.

Ric

11. Loud and Clear

Loud and Clear

Disclosures:
    Pro Gear Manager, Loud and Clear, Inc.
    Tonal taste is a personal thing, but I like the EVM15L better for bass guitar over the EVM15B. Tighter focused low bass, not as boomy or listless to my ears, and I get plenty of bottom in a vented cab; as headband posts EV designed the TL606 around the EVM15L.
    Of course, the "B" model works just dandy in that box also. I think EV recommends stepping down the port to tighten that "crazy low" low end response you refer to a bit with the EVM15B.
    The 606 is a very forgiving box, lots of drivers sound pretty good in there. I personally think the D/K/E 140 JBLs rock in a TL606 for bass guitar.
    But as I said, whatever floats your boat with an MI rig is good in my book. There is no "best" or "worse" when it comes to personal taste!

Sound production is more of an art, sound re-production is more of a science.

12. morebass!

Thanks guys. Some clarification: I owned a Mesa Diesel 2x15 with 15Ls in it and liked it but wanted a bit more low end. I put 3015s in it and liked them too but again, the tone was too mid-forward for my tastes and EQ doesn't seem to fix it. Now I'm down-sizing. The Trace 1x15 box would be used alone or with a Epifani 1x10 when needed. I hear the Faital goes slightly deeper than the 3015 but the main difference seems to be smoother mids, with the Faital having a dip at 1000hz and the 3015 having a peak around 1.6 hz. That would probably be a better solution for me. However the comparisons with JBLs make me think the Faital is also lacking in low end. I owned JBLs too back in the day - very sweet up top but not a lot down low. I have not tried the Peavey.

13. morebass!

I believe this is true as I haven't heard anything else that compares so maybe I'm on a wild goose chase. However I'd like to get as close as possible. My B-15N is a '64 with the original driver which is getting very loose. It is probably a lot bassier than some of them out there. It has really spoiled me. Any bass I plug into it sounds good. I played a Walkabout Scout 15 that seemed like it got close. Maybe that's the ticket.

14. CL400Peavey

The faital has more low end than the 3015.

15. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

I have a couple of Euphonic Audio VL series cabinets that get close to a B-15 if you roll out the treble and midrange controls. That's a close as I've gotten, and it still isn't as nice as the original Double Baffle cabinets. Vintage Blue, builds exact replicas of the B-15N double baffle cabinets. They cost $785.00, but worth it IMHO.

Ric

16. headband

headband

Was that 3015 or 3015LF that you tried? My Fearless has 3012LF's and they go low. I have not tried the 15 inch version but would expect similar results.

17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Have you tried fine tuning anything in the cab with the current driver? I'm thinking blocking a port to try to tune it differently or changing the damping if what is there isn't working well.

18. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    One thing to watch out for with that cab is when fitting higher power long X max speakers, like when we fitted a JBL 2226 with 7.5 mm X max it sounded great up to a certain power but the cone hit the metal grill at full power so we had to bend the metal grill out to clear the speaker cone.:bassist:
    Would not be a problem with an EV15 as they only go 3.3 mm X max.

19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Eminence Legend CB158 and Peaveys 1505 Widow are both pretty good. Friendly towards smallish boxes, which 3 cu.ft. is for a 15. Full lows, enough topend for definition but they're not bright sounding speakers.

The Faital mentiones is smooth low to high. Brighter than the others but still smooth, not a harsh topend at all.

In 4ohms there is the Emi. Legend CA154, the Basslite 15, a 4ohm 1505 Widow and maybe a 4 ohm version of the Faital.

20. CL400Peavey

+1

21. pgk

pgk

what he said, the 15B is my all time favorite vintage bass 15. it's tone is what you're seeking. the 15L i don't like at all though, very mid-y and bright comparatively due to it's thinner cone