15" driver moves alot, use a compressor to help?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by beardedclam, Jan 8, 2014.

1. beardedclam

beardedclam

This is a longish question: I currently use a Zoom B3 and go “ampless” to gigs, it has taken me a little while to get used to hearing myself in the monitors but it is “do-able”. I have decided to go back to an amp, here is my problem: My amp is a GK MB115 combo first gen, I notice that when I slap the speaker moves all over the place. It is visibly stressful to watch the 15” driver move so much. I want to use a compressor to stop a bit of this. I tried one of the several compressors on my Zoom B3 but I find that it just does not sound good going into an amp (sounds much better as a DI into a PA).
    There are only two songs in our entire set list that I slap in and I run my amp flat (GK is by no means flat with the knobs at noon, but that’s where I run them – at noon). Would I be better of to buy a compressor pedal, like an EBS?
    Your thoughts please
  2. beardedclam

beardedclam

And I do not use the contour switch
  3. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Cut the low end on the amp?
    Get an HPF?
    Turn down?

or

Simply don't look at the speaker and listen for whether it's on the verge of blowing up or not. Listen with the ears, not the eyeballs. If it sounds fine, it is fine.
  4. Jack

Jack

If anything I'd say a compressor would probably make this worse.

If it sounds like you're running out of steam then you need either less low end or more speakers, that's all there is to it.
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    That much driver movement I would think means too much energy below the port tuning frequency of the box (unloading).

Compressor can help, but the real answer might be a rolloff of the bass control, a highpass filter set low, or some more surgical parametric eq, or even just blending a bit away from the neck pickup if you have a 2-pickup bass, or an adjustment of playing style.

A compressor set to "squish" can help prevent damage for now, but I'd view it as more of a bandaid than a cure.
  8. beardedclam

beardedclam

I have been eye-balling a GK 410 NEO and 1001 at my local Long & McQuade, maybe this is the answer? I don't play crazy loud but it seems like my preferred volume level is just a tad above what my MB115 can safely put out (having said that the MB is not farting out).
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The 1001 can lay waste to just about any single cab out there if used irresponsibly. That said, if you feel you're pushing your combo too hard, you probably are. Big difference between a one-speaker combo amp and a 1001 driving 4 speakers.

How's your eq set and volume levels on the 115? What/who are you playing with? What sort of volume levels needed/what size of gigs, etc.?

More information = better answers.

Sorry...with a name like "beardedclam", being overly serious about the issue requires some work. :D
  10. beardedclam

beardedclam

I run the eq flat, some time I pull the bass down a tad when I play a louder. Also I roll back the neck p/u when I am playing a song where I use my B string a lot. I play classic rock, we really do not play loud at all. I don't need a 410 NEo and I probably don't want to carry one around either. Maybe I will just use my MB115 and like someone said in the post don't look at the speaker.
  11. beardedclam

beardedclam

I am off to practice now guys, thanks for the good answers
  12. beardedclam

beardedclam

I have resorted to rolling the bass of to about 10:00, this seems to help a bit. As far as volume wise, it is sufficient for band practice, and I think it will be ok for live situations if I DI into the FOH. I don't think it will cut the mustard without PA support. Does anybody know if the DI is pre or post EQ? I assume post
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder