15 Minute Poor Man's Boredom Tort Pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by quite_angry, Jan 11, 2014.

1. quite_angry

quite_angry

So I picked up a used Cort P bass a few weeks back for $40. I love the bass. Plays great, sounds better... whatever... blah blah.

Anyway, I hate white pickguards and I didn't have anything else laying around. It was a slow Saturday morning so why not? Funds are low currently, so I figured I'd make my own tort guard with Bic permanent markers.

I started with the white original guard, sanded it with 220 grit and a tan marker. Other white guard for reference.
    [​IMG]

Next, orange.
    [​IMG]

Then red.
    [​IMG]

Then light brown.
    [​IMG]

Then dark brown.
    [​IMG]

Does it look great? Not really. But it beats white in my opinion. 15 minutes well spent.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

It looks like a 5 year old scribbled all over your pick guard IMHO. If I were you I would spray it with some black spray paint and call it a day.
  3. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

+1

Anything looks better than white. Never been a fan. I think a white guard makes an otherwise aesthetically pleasing bass look cheap.
  4. LagBox

LagBox

I kinda like it, makes me think Jackson Pollock.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

A few more swipes with the dark red/brown is needed!
  7. quite_angry

quite_angry

Nah, where's the adventure in that? I don't care, it's a $40 bass. I just wanted to try something different. I'll get a real tort guard eventually.
  8. quite_angry

quite_angry

I think I might agree with that.
  9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have a red tort guard you can have if you want it. I'm not a huge fan of tort, and absolutely despise red tort, so I will never use it. PM me if you want it.
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hand painted one of the tort pickguards in this photo. I ended up going with a plain black pickguard on that bass.

[​IMG]
  11. Lobomov

Lobomov

Anything is better than white ... you just need to cover the remaining white spots with a black marker and BOOM! :)
  12. dave64o

dave64o A legendary low talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

One approach is to do what I did and spent about $600 for parts to mod the hell out of a $130 SX. Definitely not cost effective, but cost effective wasn't my goal.

The opposite approach is what you did. That's a $40 bass, so why not? It's a whole lot more cost effective than the crazy decision I made, and it's an interesting idea. Although, I agree with the others who suggested that filling it in more completely would make it look better.
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

How about buying some paisley contact paper and covering the PG with that?

Not a fan of the current look. I'd rather get a rattle can and paint it.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

When you put sticky back stuff on a PG, do you trim it so the bevel shows or do you trim it so the bevel is covered?
  15. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Not too bad really, from a distance it looks tortesque...
  16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Dunno. Contact paper is cheap and easy to experiment with. I'd trim so the bevel shows, as paper hanging over the bevel would provide a place to start peeling anyway. Bet a new Xacto knife blade and patience would do it.
  17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Lol...you should sell them on ebay. Seriously.
  18. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

I liked the 2nd lightly scribbled one the best. The one with orange.

Might try that one day.
  19. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

It looks better than some of the modern tort examples I've seen, and I agree that anything is better than white.
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I'm not sure about contact paper, but I tried to mask a PG a while back with regular blue tape with the idea of cutting a pattern into the tape for painting. I covered the guard with strips of 2" tape and then took my usual single edge razor blade and was going to trim the tape to the edges of the guard so the whole thing (including the bevel) were covered. Turned out the guard was so thin on the outer edge I found myself cutting in to it no matter how hard I tried to avoid doing so. The tape was harder to cut than the edge of the guard which made it a major PITA and hardly worth it. I found it much simpler to lay the blade against the bevel and cut so the bevel was exposed than trying to cut down to the edge of the guard. To avoid painting the bevel I went around it with a bit of liquid mask after trimming the tape. If it was not so expensive I'd just use liquid mask to do the whole guard, or just get a precut mask and then fill the rest with liquid mask.
  21. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

my bass has contact paper on the guard. looks awesome and stays on just fine. definitely leave the bevel show.