1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

15" neo options?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jeffbonny, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure I can talk a friend out of an empty 70's Ampeg 2x15 cab he has and I'm looking for opinions on what to load it with. I'm old and lazy and think I want light weight neos but I'll listen to all opinions on this.
    Thanks.
  2. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Sure, I would definitely go with some neodymium speakers. The question is what ones? The best way to answer that is to measure the inside dimensions of the cabinet and its ports and load those into a modelling program so you can determine which speakers will give the best results in that cabinet. There are the usual suspects of course (Faital, Eminence, etc.) but without modelling first, putting speakers in a box is just a crap shoot.
  3. Oobly

Oobly

I agree with the keymaster.. Do some modelling before choosing a driver for the cab.
  4. GMC

GMC

Just to add here....most 15" cabs are way too small and the "warm" bass sound out of a 15" is usually a low freq bass boom caused by a cab which is too small and un ported /vented. I have yet to see a 2x15" which is even remotely large enough to contain the drivers. Most powerful (300w + ) 15" speakers have a Vas of around 150 litres...most cabs are around the 80 litre range. Get close to this size cab and you'll see a flatter tonal responce. Pop it in a smaller box and you'll see a swell in the lower freq responce. If it's a 2x15, then you'll need a cab in the order of 300 liters...and that's a big box to lug about!
  5. advertisement

advertisement

I don't know the first thing about box volume or whatever but I have a tweeterless sealed 2x15 cab fitted with neo's and it sounds absolutely fantastic. It's about 1m x 46cm x 40cm. Weighs approx 30kg if that.
    Works great fot me.
  6. Sartori

Sartori

I sincerely doubt that either the Sunn 2000S or the Mesa Diesel 2x15 are too small for their drivers. :meh:
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

Neither is my DuallyT, qnd it is really small for a 215.
  8. Sartori

Sartori

Indeed. Different drivers have different space requirements.

Some 15" drivers require a lot of space, others require less. The Eminence 3015 and the Faital 15PR400 both seem to require a relatively modest amount of internal cab volume.

Given that the Mesa Diesel 2x15 is basically just a TL606 design, the EV 15L and 15B don't seem to require a huge amount of space, either.
  9. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Agreed - I would also add Peavey's 215D, and SWR's 215 cabs to that list, although I've always thought Peavey's shallow 215 was too small to work really well...

- georgestrings
  10. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Those are gross generalizations. All speakers do not require the same size of cabinet. Some speakers will work just fine in an 80l box while some might require 150l. Modelling the cabinet will allow him to choose the speakers that will work best for him in it.
  11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    That cab is going to be wicked heavy regardless, since its made to hold the heavy speakers, lose a lot of the weight advantage from neos, since the whole structure can be made lighter with less weight to bear from the magnets.