15" speaker opinion/info

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Apr 1, 2014.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I am thinking of building a single 15" cab. Do any of you know or have an opinion of these 15's? I want a smooth and articulate cab. Something that can go from rock to slap and all points in between.

Eminence legend 15 4ohm

Eminence gamma 15A 8ohm

Eminence kappa 15c 4ohm

I want a can space around 2-3ft.

2. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think it would all depend on the cab built around them.

4. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    I am not real sure what you mean but I want to build the best cab I can. It will be ported.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    The results of your speaker choice will be determined by the box designed around them. So start designing around all the drivers, and compare the simulations. See which one meets your design goals, then build a prototype.

If all you want to do is build a box with holes in it, then you would be better served buying an existing cab.

7. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    This is what I am doing and both speakers seem to be very close based off the winISd. So that is why I want some feedback from others that can run the specs on their end to see if they have anything different than me or what they think would be the better speaker/cab in a 2-3ft ported box with tweeter. The winISd is new to me so I get worried if I am reading it wrong or what to look for. Based off the graphs they both seem very flat from 50hz up. But I must say all speakers have looked that way with some having a bump in the 60-100hz area. These do not.

Let me know if there is a better question I should be asking here?

8. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

There are probably not any single 15 inch drivers in any cab that will meet your performance goals, although the Faital 15PR400 may come close. At the very least, all 3 candidate drivers will need a mid and competent (full low & high pass) crossover to come close. Cab design is trivial compared to crossover design. Then there is the question of low bass response profile, and how this 'balances' with the mid (and maybe tweeter) to achieve an overall cabinet tone.

None of those 3 drivers will model as flat to 50 Hz in a 2-3 cf cabinet, vented or not. Note that being at 0 db at 50 Hz is not flat if the response is not 'flat'. If your winISD runs are indicating that they do (have a 'flat' response to 50Hz), there is something wrong.

Maybe you could 'regroup', and come up with more realistic and specific performance targets.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

My opinion, fwiw, is that you should stick to 12"s. I ran 15"s for years, 10"s for years and am back to 12"s for the very reason that I wasn't just playing slap anymore - they sit in the mix with a band better (to my ear) than 15"s for modern music and speak the mids better than most 10"s. The few cycles of low freq you can reach with a 15" that you can't get with a 12" are, to me, not so useful anyway.

10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    The only thing the diameter of speaker tells you, is the diameter and therefore beaming frequency of a speaker. Nothing more.

11. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

I just built 2 cabs with the Faital 15pr400 they are super articulate. I have the the cabs tuned to 46hz pm me and I can give you dimensions.

12. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Looking at the graphs from us speakers all three of these jump up around 2k, below that they all look pretty flat. The gamma, When I run it in winISd it starts its fall off from flat around 80hz red line and when it hits 50hz it is 2db below blue line. There is a total of 5db between red line and 50hz. Does this sound right for a 3ft box tuned to 45hz this is with 2 3" ports at 3.95" long. If someone can check and see if this sounds right? Also I know a 3 way would have more tonal options but I played 2 different combos gk and Ampeg and both sound great with just the 15 and tweeter. So I am not sure why these would not? Please let me know so I can learn this stuff. What would the sound be like with these? I am looking for a nice sweet smooth tone from low to high with no super load mids jumping out loader than everything else.

13. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Thanks but those for now are out of my budget. I have heard a sound sample of those and they sound amazing!

I really would like to build a budget minded cab but have something that sounds good. I do not need a volume monster as I do not gig. I have just been digging the 15 tone recently. I used to like 10's but not as much recently and I like 12's but I just sold my 2x12 cab this afternoon and would like something different and would prefer a single woofer cab.

14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

build a TL606 box and be done with it.

15. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

Mcm electronics has them for 188$ with there instant coupon! I built each of these cabs with baltic birch and hardware for 275$ a piece

16. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I'd for one like the dimensions of said cabs :hyper:
    sorry, will pm
    fnord!

17. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

The Kappa 15C is garbage. No xmax, boxy mids, muddy and gutless. Yuk.
    I suggest looking at other brands as well.

18. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

A driver with response to 2 kHz will not sound articulate or sweet. You'll need response to at least 4-5kHz for that. adding a tweeter to a 15 inch will almost always leave a 'hole' in the response between where the tweeter starts and where the 15 declines. Keep in mind that response off-axis will be several db below on-axis in the highs. For a smooth articulate sound with most 15's you will need to cross to a mid driver between 600 and 1000 Hz.

The sound you liked from the GK and Ampeg combos was far from 'flat' (in the bass and in the mids). If that sound is your ideal, then building a cab that measures 'flat' will likely be disappointing. Without rehashing arguments concerning 'flat' vs intentionally colored cabs, let's just say that there are a lot of players who prefer some flavor in the sound of their cabs, and that there is nothing wrong in building and playing thru a cab that you like. Just realize that you really won't know if you actually prefer that sound (GK MB115 / Ampeg BA-115) unless you compare them to other 'flavors', including 'flat'. Unfortunately, the big musical instrument stores don't generally carry the 'flat' variety.

Your modeling results for the Gamma 15 sound about right. Essentially flat response 9minimal bass peaking): -3db@57 Hz, -5db@52Hz and -10db@40Hz. Note the excursion limited power handling (140-180w) between 60 & 90 Hz.

19. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Thank you this is what I was looking for. Give me some other brands to check out.

20. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Thank you! Give me an idea of how you would consider/describe the tone of the GK MB115? This is a tone I really like. If there is a method or type speaker and or cab design for getting results like this let me know?

21. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Tough to do all of that with a single 15" cone.

Since you don't need high volume, I suggest moving the goal posts a bit and using a 12" cone... in particular, the Eminence Beta 12A2. It's a very decent stand-alone bass guitar speaker, and if you put one in 2.5 to 3 cubic feet tuned to ballpark 50 Hz, you'll get a nice big bottom end that's competitive in all ways except max SPL to what you'd get with the Legend CA154 or Gamma 15 in a similar box, but you'll have a more articulate and extended top end with a bit better dispersion.

Just my opinion.