1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

15" speakers for heavy, low-tuned music?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by captainbeyond, Feb 18, 2014.

1. captainbeyond

captainbeyond

I have a Sunn 215 that needs to be loaded. I usually play heavy fuzz rock and doom metal, tuned as low as two whole steps down. In the future I'd like to do some stuff in A or G.

What 15" speakers would you recommend for this application? I like JBLs and Eminence so far. Just hard to decide which model.
  2. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Used to have Peavey Black Widows in my 2x15 cab. Great speakers.
  3. morgansterne

morgansterne

speakers should be matched with the cab. You can measure dimensions and use WinISD to figure out what speakers would give you a good frequency response. This matters way more than the genre of music.
  4. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

+1. That being said, I've always had great luck with Eminence, been using them in cabs for about 15 years now. I have beta 12s in a 4x12 right now and it is thunderous.