15" VS. 12" and 10" VS. 8" SPEAKERS

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gus1894, Nov 2, 2008.

1. gus1894

gus1894 Supporting Member

It's often said that 15" speakers carry the low end, and that 10" speakers give you the "punch".

But are 12's a reasonable substitute for 15's in terms of carrying the low end and are 8's convey comparable punch to 10's?

Thanks !

2. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Unfortunately those saying it are making a horrible over-generalisation. The only thing nominal diameter tells you about a speaker is how big it looks! Tone is dependant on numerous different factors and nominal diameter is nowhere near the top of the list in its effect upon tone.

Off the top of my head I can think of a 15" that has more midrange punch than any 12", 10" or 8" you've heard and of an 8" that has more bottom than any 10", 12" or 15" you've heard.

Alex

3. groove pump

groove pump

Yep, I think you need to let your ears make the judgment. I've been very pleasantly surprised by how big and alive a cab with multiple 8's could sound and some 15's out there seem to really bark out the mids. For some reason, I haven't really taken to 12's - can't say exactly why and I also haven't tried everything out there.

I'm a regular 4-string player and I don't look for too much of a hi-fi sound, so I like to play through a pair of 2x10's with the tweeters turned off. After some trial and error, my ears have found a comfort zone with this setup.

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Like Alex Says in 12" speakers you can go all the way from
    Bling ding dangy pling:
    [​IMG]

As far as Blub blub bluby blub:
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do you have any that say "shoo-be-do-wop wa-oooooohh" or "rama-lama-ding dong"? That's what I need for Bowzer gigs ;)

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Yup!
    [​IMG]
    How about these?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Excellent! Send 'em on over!

9. Bassmickeyd

Bassmickeyd

I've said it before; a good 12" (EVL) in a well made TL style (front ported and loaded) cabinet will do everything your heart desires. Single 12" cabs can be added together as needed and separated across the stage for better dispersal.
    15" are slower to respond than 12" speakers and a good 12" will go down as low as any 15" speaker.

10. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    :D
    Jimmy I think I have unearthed real photographic evidence of the existence of big foot living in LA in the eighties, see far right of picture.
    Perhaps you could cast an expert eye over this, my latest important scientific anthropological discovery.
    [​IMG]
    :D

11. Way Off Bass

Way Off Bass

Disclosures:
    EZ Music Co.
    this looks shooped

i can tell from shooping a fair number of whoops in my day

12. Dirk McQuickley

Dirk McQuickley

What does "EVL" stand for?

Dirk McQuickley

13. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Electrovoice 12" model L
    Used in upmarket Mesa Boogie cabs and many others 100Db spl 1 watt 1 meter.
    A very impressive driver all round.
    :ninja:

14. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

I have to play a quarter-beat ahead of the drummer just to stay in time, when I use my 15 cab!

15. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    My band uses 18" subwoofers. The kick drum is usually still playing the song we just finished when we've already started a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're going to get one hundred 1" subwoofers to time align better.

16. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    He's probably referring to the EVM 12L, which, BTW, is a guitar driver. It works reasonably well on bass as well, but not nearly as well as modern bass drivers that weigh, and cost, less than half as much.
    As for the size versus performance debate, Alex is correct. Driver size in and of itself means almost nothing. The only inherent advantage to a smaller driver/disadvantage to a larger driver is in the midrange dispersion. Otherwise broad generalizations about the differences based purely on driver size are unfounded speculation.

17. Nook

Nook

Could those speculations be based on "quality" of speakers commonly used in the bass cabinets? Those "slow" fifteens and such...

18. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Any time that a bass guitar speaker is perceived as slow it is solely due to a lack of midrange and treble response where the listener's ears are. The claims that 15"s respond slowly are completely incorrect.

Alex

19. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

I use a 1x15 and a 4x8. The 8s provide more punch than Mike Tyson on a bad day.

20. SwamiRob

SwamiRob

Whatever 15 could you be refering to?! :p

Like numerous people have pointed out diameters make little difference, the only difference been the one Bill has to mention every time a thread like this comes up.

However, is it cheaper to make larger speakers put out lows and vice versa? It would seem that is the case, either that or pretty much anyone who ever made a speaker is doing things on the cheap. I seem to remember being told by some sound guy that the bassiest sub had a 12" speaker or something, but I assume it costs alot more to make a smaller sub that puts out more lows then a larger one. Is that the case, or is there some other reason that people that make speakers seem to go with the bigger = bassier approach most of the time?

21. adam precision

adam precision

I've got a 15 (orange) and a 4x10 (ampeg). The 15 is punchier than the 4x10 and the 4x10 is bassier that the 15. I am inlcined to agree that the speaker size alone doesn't give your tone type.