1515/66 Help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whatisacup, Dec 31, 2012.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

So I posted a thread the other day about getting rid of my 810 for a 610.

After lots of confusing advice, I'm leaning towards a 1515/66 built buy LDS.

There is a lot of into out there, it almost seems too good to be true.

Is this cab really as loud and as good as claimed? Can it really blow away an 610 and 810 and put out a much more balanced sound?

The two things that are making me interested:

1. Volume. Having the ability to handle any gig isn't a bad thing.

2. Flexibility. From what i've read, these cabs are good for those who like a variety of sound. I change my tone often, and experimenting with new things.

AND weight. Less than 100 pounds = dream.
  2. whatisacup

whatisacup

Also if it helps.... I play vintage P basses, and a Genz Streamliner head. I like a nice mid thump.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This is my fEARful 1515/66/1.
    [​IMG]

LDS is not a an authorized greenboy/fEARful builder.

That said the hype about this cab is true. Mine came in at a tad over 100 pounds but I wanted a few extras. It easily blows away my old 810. It goes lower, and is more even through the mids than any other cab I have played. If you do not plan on tuning below drop A then I would recommend you go with the fEARless 215. Here are a few examples of how they can be dressed up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 215's will have similar performance, but have a slightly different voicing and dont have quite the low end extension. Still will kick an 810 to the curb in terms of volume, and they have been weighing in around 75 pounds.

Want to go lighter than that? greenboy designed a 215 using full range speakers called the dually. This one is 39 pounds.
    [​IMG]
  4. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

So I hope he won't mind, but PM "El Slap". He was just in my garage yesterday trying out the 1515/66 (LDS build but crossover by authorized fEARful builder) that I am selling, and he played through both that one and my self built 1515/66.
    He is a very skilled versatile young player who plays in several bands/genres. Might give you an opinion.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. whatisacup

whatisacup

Yeah, I don't tune drop A. Just having 215's would keep it more simple, I like simple.

I also like that the profile of these cabs are big. I like big cabs, but I don't like weight.

I know I asked this in my previous thread, but information was thrown at me that I couldn't understand.

But can someone give a brief summary in layman's terms on how a 215 can blow away an 810?
  7. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    These cabs use premium drivers, and most commercial cabs don't. Further more these cabs were designed around specific drivers, where moat commercial cabs make compromises to meet price point.

As far as the "how" on the fEARless 215, it let's the dedicated low frequency drivers do the heavy lifting, and uses an incredibly sensitive and powerful mid driver to cover everything above the 15's. The key to this is Greenboy's internal passive crossover. Then the cab is designed around the specific drivers. It is tuned and ported to get optimal performance.

The Dually is a similar story. It prey much uses the best full range 15" drivers in production, and pairs them with a properly designed cab. Greenboy's designs don't compromise on cost of materials. He even offers complete plans for the fEARful line to anyone who wants to build their own cab.
  8. whatisacup

whatisacup

What are the dimensions of the Dually?
  9. makohund

makohund

To make sound, especially pounding lows, you gotta move air. A speaker is like a piston, pumping air.

The amount of air moved is measured by displacement... the surface area being moved ("Sd"), multiplied by how far it moves. ("Xmax".). Basically the same as the bore and stroke of a piston.

The displacement (in speaker specs it is called "Vd") of a 10" bass cab speaker may be around 165cc. (Eminence B810 Legend, similar to what modern Ampeg 810s are loaded with.)

The displacement of a single 3015LF (the driver in the 1515/66 and F215) is 846cc. That is massive, way more than most 15s... due to the high Xmax (stroke).

Eight of the B810's = 1320cc.
    Two of the 3015LF's = 1692cc.
  10. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    36"x24"x14" and usually around 60 lbs, sometimes less :)
  11. iualum

iualum

"Yesterday, 11:02 AM
    whatisacup

I'm not too sure about trying new designs I've never tried. 10's work for me. They always have. I've tried all types of 12's and 15's and was never happy. I really like my mids.

I'm considering having a nice lightweight neo 810 built, with good drivers. might be expensive, but that's okay. Also considering an 810 with beta drivers."

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Guess you decided to try a new design you've never tried, even though 10s have always worked for you & you've never been happy with 15s. Good thinkin' :bassist: .
  12. Foz

Foz

Yes & Yes.

And moving a 66 around is a snap so don't worry about the weight [+/- 90 lbs.]. Just be sure to add rub rails to the backside and a bit of aluminium angle to the bottom corner between the wheels to make for super durable surfaces in these areas so you can move it around like a hand truck over curbs and steps without fear for the finish.
  13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Seriously this '66 is outrageous. 95% of musicians could get by with a fEARful 15/6, 1212/6, or a fEARless 115.
  14. David Jayne

David Jayne

These cabs don't have any low mid bump like you're used to. Very different sound. These are like PA speakers.
    They're very loud, but also very clean. They go really high and really low. Very unlike your 8x10.
    Really cool but not for everybody.
  15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    They also take EQ better than any cab I have played with. So I think that argument is a wash, just gotta rethink your EQ.
  16. David Jayne

David Jayne

Saying "it takes EQ well" doesn't help if you don't have the right knobs on your amp. Some like, and are used to, baked in cab sound.
  17. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    You are right, and there are plenty of cabs out there for people that want them.
  18. Foz

Foz

Most don't - no sane person ever does this with their PA stacks or studio monitors and yet they can still get great bass guitar tracks. EQ knobs are made for twisting - do it - I dare you! FWIW there is about a 90% "try one = buy one" rate for Dave Green cabs.

But you are right, some people can't handle the existence of hi-mid capability in their bass cab, and for them GB designed the traditional "Dually". But that approach is a diminution without advantage IMO/IME.

You can get a Dually tone out of any GB cab [its a trivial exercise] but you you'll never get a Dually to do the modern mid-forward thing the fEARful / fEARless lines are capable of.
  19. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    ^^^^^^^^^

I sometimes record with a Faital loaded Bassic15, but live I stick with FEARLESS cabs...they can be whatever you want them to be
  20. David Jayne

David Jayne

Really. Around and around we go. Just trying to help the OP. He's used to a fridge and likes it. Your cabs sound nothing like a fridge. That's all I'm saying.
  21. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Really? The OT is about greenboy style cabs, so who's going 'around and around?'

The OP is this;

1. Volume. Having the ability to handle any gig isn't a bad thing.

2. Flexibility. From what i've read, these cabs are good for those who like a variety of sound. I change my tone often, and experimenting with new things.

The OP clearly stated that he is interested in something different that does exactly what greenboy cabs do. I don't see where he stated how much he loves his fridge cabs. If you want tons of headroom and the ability to get a lot of tones, these cabs do just that. So I don't understand how anyone was going 'around and around' on anything :)