17-Hour Flight + Bad Lower Back = ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bongolation, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

I'm asking for advice here before I try wrestling with the HMO on this one.

I have "lower back syndrome" with a little sciatica which hits hard when I sit in a regular chair mostly immobilized for more than a couple of hours -- not so much while sitting, but after getting back up.

The thought of a trans-Pacific flight (followed by two more connecting flights) in economy is really worrying me. I may be unable to walk for a couple of days.

Huge numbers of people have lower back problems and fly, presumably.

Is there some medical solution to this I should ask the doctor about short of the epidural injections I've heard of people actually getting for this but would be impractical for me?

Thanks for any useful advice!
  2. pedroims

pedroims

For long flights I usually take Ambien, two pills was enough to knock me down for the whole 15 hours flight between Johannesburg SA and Atlanta. That may help
  3. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I feel for you, I have suffered trans-Pacific trips in economy and they were painful...and I don't have a bad back.
  4. DigMe

DigMe

Some airlines offer a "deluxe economy" seat that is not too much more but offers more comfort. Get an aisle seat and you can get up and walk around as often as possible. I see this a lot on Asian airlines such as Cathay Pacific, EVA, etc..
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

+1
  7. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

I can't sit for more than about a half hour without my lower back stinging. I'm a spaz anyway, though.
  8. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Do ankle pumps. If you can stretch a bit. Do not go to the point of aggravating people but keep the blood flowing.

Talk to your doc about getting a Cellebrex script.

Keep hydrated.
  9. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Two words- lumbar support
  10. Ironbar

Ironbar

Speak to your doctor about getting epidural steroid injections prior to your trip. It is not a cure for your back problem. It is Band-Aid therapy. However, it may ease the pain long enough for you to endure. When I had one, the pain relief lasted about three weeks.
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

17 hour flight = nightmare no matter how you slice it.

Unless you're in 1st class
  12. kenmeg

kenmeg

Bongolation,I to suffer chronic back pain all I can suggest if you can't have an epidural is some sort of pain killers and a TENS machine.I take Lyrica pregablin which is an anti epileptic drug that dulls the nervous system.

Good luck Ken.
  13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Three weeks would be long enough, as I'm only going to be gone about nine or ten days. I had no idea the effects lasted that long.