1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

$175 for an Avatar 2x12" cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bolophonic, Nov 8, 2012.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

I'm considering a cheap backup cab to keep in a practice space and this deal was presented to me. 8 ohms, ceramic speakers, rat fur covering. I haven't played it yet, but assuming everything sounds good, what do you think of that price, TB?
  2. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    confirm it's a bass cab first ;) they make both.
  3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Will do. Assuming it is a bass cab, how do you feel about the price?
  5. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i figure if it sounds good to you, and fits your needs, is within your budget and fits in your car / transport isn't a problem, go for it. i have no experience with avatar, so i can't speak directly about their stuff. the first sentence here basically applies to all bass gear, IMHO.
  6. craig.p

craig.p

The early ones had drivers and crossovers that weren't -- shall we say -- as advanced as the ones in the current builds. But if it's just for practice and your volume requirements aren't all that great, then eh . . . what the heck. The boxes themselves are good & solid. Tanks.

Pull the jack plate and see what's in there for a crossover. Avatar's web site has pics of what they use today. Also look at the twelves to make sure they're not some junk shoved in there by a previous owner. Bring a #2 Phillips and a flashlight.
  7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Thank you, this is the kind of info I am looking for. Should I be looking for Eminence drivers? How long ago did they improve their speakers and crossovers? I will find out when the cab was built and decide if I want to check it out further.
  8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Dave used Delta 12LF speakers in his 12" bass cabs years ago before he used neo's and still does today . Look through the jack plate like craig.p says and you can see the back of the magnet , should have a big sticker on it that says Eminence or Delta . Also on the jackplate if it has a yellow cylinder glued to it that is the old crossover , it works all right but the newer style will be a circuit board fastened to the plate . Either way if it sounds good when you try it it's a good cab for that price . Anything else that's even close to as good will be double that used .
  9. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

That's a decent price around here. I missed out on a ceramic version for a cool hundred bucks. It was pristine, I kick myself for not getting it just to try for a while. Oh well, I love my 410.

Id low ball him if it looks gigged. That's me... I do that.
  10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Thank you, guys. Great info!
  11. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Take your amp with you when you check it out.
  12. bolophonic

bolophonic

The 700RB-II is ready to go!
  13. wilfredes

wilfredes

Dave used Delta 12LF speakers in his 12" bass cabs years ago before he used neo's and still does today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. craig.p

craig.p

Well before the current B212 incarnations, the drivers were much lower performance. Sorry, my familiarity with Avatar doesn't go back to that era, so I can't tell you what to look for. I'm fairly sure, though, that the cabs were all a) black, b) steel grill, and c) with the standard/small square logo.

If you really want to pursue this, dig back through Bill Fitzmaurice's posts on Avatar cabs and see if you can find the one where he talks about the early low-Xmax drivers and the first generation crossovers. You may have to go back 1, 2, maybe 3 years.
  15. bolophonic

bolophonic

It sounded awesome, and I managed to snag it for $160.00. I am going to pair it with my Hartke 3500 head and keep this rig in the practice space.

image-767270200.jpg
  16. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

good rig. Nice. Pre-boutique DIY era that would be all the cab you need. Now, of course, its almost entirely unacceptable.

;-)
  17. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Nice, good score!
  18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I have tat cab.. That's a great price for it. I leave mine at church.