1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

18 volts on a Markbass Compressore?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DampSneaker, Aug 17, 2013.

1. DampSneaker

DampSneaker Supporting Member

Is anyone using a Dunlop Brick's (or any) 18v output to power a Markbass Compressore?

I've got the Brick powering the few 9v pedals that I have and it also has 3x18v outputs. The only thing not powered by it is my MB Compressore which runs at 12v and has it's own adapter. I'd sure like to use the Brick to power the Compressore as well but I'm gripped with the fear of blowing it and it's warranty up. My poking around here and elsewhere taught me that some pedals can be run over the specified voltage for extra headroom and also that doing so could harm certain pedals. What I can't find is any enlightenment on how it would affect this particular one. Enter the fear. The 18v connecting plug from the Brick is physically identical to the one the Compressore adapter is using and pops right in like it was made for it. So it's getting harder to resist giving it a whirl. Headroom isn't an issue. I'd just like to eliminate what may be an unnecessary wall wart. Can anyone either calm or stoke my fears on this so I can either try it out or run away screaming? :help:
  2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Sell the Brick and get the Pedal Power ISO-5.

Three 9VDC - 100mA
    9/12VDC - 400mA
    18VDC - 100mA

:D
  3. DampSneaker

Well, that doesn't actually answer my main question but it's a handy pointer and something to consider so I thank you for it. I actually like the Brick and hope that what I'm really asking about is something I can do. I wouldn't rule out replacing it if it comes to that but it's not what I'm looking for right now. I can always keep using the MB wall wart if doing what I'm asking about is ill advised. Thanks.
  4. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

The MB Compressore requires 500mA at 12v so the ISO-5 at 400mA won't cut it. I've looked at lots of options and read lots of posts on here but I haven't seen a good solution so I still just use the factory power adapter. Unless anyone has a better solution?????
  5. DampSneaker

Looking at the specs on the Brick box I'd say it's a no go on what I was asking. I'll just stick with the factory adapter too which is no big deal for me. But I echo your plea for a better solution. Thanks.