1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

19 Fire Fighters killed in Arizona

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I don't have a link, but I heard about all of the heroes dying fighting a forest fire early this morning. It must be like hell fighting fires when the air temperature is close to 120 degrees (almost 50 degrees Celsius.)

2. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    High temp in city yesterday was 116 or so. 60 lbs of gear, constant movement, constant work, constant stress, working temps 130-150 or so...

Heard they were able to deploy some fire shelters, but they didn't help.

RIP

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

RIP, heroes to the end. :( So sad..

4. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

forest fires are natural and necessary, maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but why do they feel the need to fight them? it always seems to come at the loss of life.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nortonrider

nortonrider

7. stingray2112

stingray2112

I heard about this tragic loss and it's a shame that it happened. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

8. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    RIP. Brave people, to die in service to others.

9. SnowCal

SnowCal

Because people's homes and lives are in the way.

So sad to hear about this. See you on the big one brothers.

10. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

11. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Media:
    One person already gave the answer for threatening homes and lives in the path of the forest fire.

Other reasons include:
    1. decrease/prevent pollution.
    2. maintain forests to save wood as a natural resource.
    3. prevent an out-of-control forest fire, as in one that consumes a huge amount of forest and becomes so large that it becomes unstoppable such that it destroys more lives, property and the eco-system than if it wasn't stopped earlier. This happens a lot when a forest fire occurs in a dry forest.

12. DwaynieAD

1- preventing small forest fires leads to the gigantic out of control fires, more pollution when that happens
    2-again same as first answer
    3- yet again same answer

I understand the need to save lives, but I find it hard to believe that people had no warning and don't carry insurance. forest fires create healthy eco-systems.

I am not uncaring about the loss of life, I think it's sad. I'm sure that'll be brought up next as per the TB norm.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I just read the names of those who lost their lives, I know a few of them. Not as personal friends of buddies, but I provided IT/network support to the station a few of them were based out of so we talked on the phone several times. As I read that list and name after name I recognized showed up, it brought over me a tremendous sadness I have not felt in a long time. I don't even want to work anymore today.

-Mike

14. OldDog52

OldDog52

Hello? If the official policy were "Let the homes burn to the ground, it's better for the ecosystem", the homeowners wouldn't be able to get any insurance.

15. DwaynieAD

because that's even remotely in the ball park of what I said. oddly enough you have to carry flood insurance if you live in a flood zone.... but you'd be restricted from fire insurance in a fire zone?

16. DwaynieAD

that's pretty heavy man. sorry.

17. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah it is. I was afraid to read the list, but I knew I had to. It's a terrible feeling. I just have this numb feeling all over my body right now and a heavy heart.

-Mike

18. DwaynieAD

I have a friend who used to fight forest fires in Colorado, he talks about wanting to get back into it, I just can't imagine.

19. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    These events have given me some time to reflect on how stupidly I live my life. Here I sit all day reading about multi-million dollar athletes, the teams they play for, and how many opinions I have about those players and teams.

All the while the people who put their lives on the line so I can live comfortably fly under the radar, not even noticed. Why do I bother with these athletes and teams who don't give a crap about me while people like firefighters and police officers go to work everyday knowing they may not come home in order to protect me, and they don't even know who I am? I am ashamed of myself today.

-Mike

20. SnowCal

SnowCal

Problem is that this isn't true anymore. The 'every fire out by next morning's breakfast' mentality the Forest Service employed for decades screwed that up. Fuel loading is far in excess of historical norms today. Ladder fuels are thick and help the fire get up into the tree canopies, which they didn't used to do so often. Fires don't create healthy eco-systems anymore. They burn way too intense these days. Rather than promoting biodiversity and making the forest more fire resistant, the fires today tend to be bad news.

So you've gotta get the forest into a more natural, less heavily loaded state to get the low-intensity burns that are beneficial. Unfortunately that's a ton of work on the fuel-thinning and springtime prescribed fire front and the funding isn't there. Quincy Library Group came up with some good ideas on that front, but I've gotta get to work.

21. DwaynieAD

I wouldn't feel bad. it's the way 90% of society thinks. nothing wrong with being entertained. personally I don't get the obsession with athletes and celebs, but guess who doesn't get the call to come watch the game at the bar either?

this entire post kind of echos my first point. it's mother nature trying to reset itself cuz we were doing it wrong.