1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

1940's Czechoslovakian 3/4 Upright Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses & Bows' started by zackthompson, Jan 6, 2014.

1. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

Media:
    I have a 1940's Czech made plywood bass. All professionally restored. Brand new plate tuners, bridge, and stand. The stand has a custom turning on the end of it. New Tomastik flat wounds. Plays and sounds great! Includes an extra bridge to set up to your playing style. The current bridge is set up for finger style playing.

I'm located in South Boston, Virginia. Willing to ship.
    $3750 obo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. zackthompson

Media:
  3. zackthompson

Media:
  4. zackthompson

Media:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zackthompson

Media:
    Bump. Is this the right price for this bass? This is what a local luthier told me to sell it for.
  7. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

Tough to know long-distance. I paid $1200 from a fellow TB'er for a 1940's German plywood bass with a padded bag, a bow, and a pickup. Yours looks to be in better shape than mine.

Hope that helps.

-S-
  8. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Since you asked:

Prices vary from region to region for a whole host of reasons. Around here that would be a little high if it was in top shape but...

In your pix I can see that the bridge is warped and needs to be replaced.

The tailpiece is very inappropriately positioned and its making me wonder about the sound post positioning and other setup items.

To generate some interest you might consider adding some pix of the other parts of the bass - the back, ribs, neck, heel, scroll, etc.

Good luck! ;)
  9. zackthompson

Media:
    Actually, the bridge is not warped at all. It's just an illusion from the camera angle. The bridge was just cut perfectly flat by the luthier. Also, it comes with a brand new uncut bridge if the buyer wants to replace it. Everything else is also from the camera angle. Everything was done by an upright bass professional. It sounds amazing, plays amazing, and everything is set up right. I added some more pictures.
  10. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

Zack, the bridge may not have been warped but it does look warped in more than one of your pictures. It's an easy enough thing to have fixed, and I don't think most people here would consider it a show-stopper.

-S-
  11. basscat85

basscat85

The neck set looks crooked in it to me, the bridge is offset to the left too far and it appears the strings are still shifted to the right a tad bit according to the tip of the fingerboard. Just my opinion.