1959 Precision sold on eBay and some thoughts...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geddy402, Feb 9, 2014.

1. geddy402

geddy402

Any body notice the extreme price increase right at the end of that auction? Met the reserve too...weird.

Anyone ever able to pick up something on eBay at a descent price. Saw a 63 p just sold for $5400, seemed like a pretty good deal but seems lime eBay is kind of a wasteland for finding something g worthwhile for a good price.

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Link?? I only see one '59 P sold on ebay. It was a "best offer" sale.

3. geddy402

geddy402

4. geddy402

geddy402

Any thoughts on scoring deals in eBay or good finds?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest

That is how almost all ebay auctions work. The largest bids come in the last minute, if not the last seconds of the bid. People who are serious about ebay use automated programs to bid for them.

7. KablesP

KablesP

The best deals these days are on Craigslist and GC Used (for me, anyway)

When something is at GC in the used section, no matter what is is (generally, not sure about super old instruments) they will lower the price periodically until it sells resulting in some really amazing finds.

There used to be a whole bunch of ebay misspellings but its pretty hard now as all you have to do is find a similar item already for sale and ebay takes care of placing it correctly and spelling key words correctly. Not that it won't ever happen again but its unlikely.

8. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

Yeah I got smoked by those programs a few times.
    Should be illegal!

9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I've had to resort to selling a couple of basses on eBay before - I've never been entirely satisfied with the price I got (or the ffees). I haven't quite got the knack of getting a good price for my gear, yet.

On the buying front, I think for big ticket items you almost have to play dirty these days in order to secure a winning bid. By that I mean you need to use automated bid 'sniping' software, because it's likely other bidders are using it. Banning the software seems like it's been a pretty futile endeavour, so using it ourselves seems like the only way to level the playing field in some cases.

That said, I'm a fan of Buy It Now purchases, and there's plenty of stores selling gear at good prices that eBay is useful for new items. I can't remember the last time I actually went in to bid on something.

10. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest

:rolleyes:

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

You're bidding against the whole world, and as mentioned everyone is out to snipe at the last few seconds.

If you're shopping, just look at all avenues of the small shops that are around. I often pick up Vintage Guitar magazine, and there are actually quite a few shops that have better prices than alot of the big name shops. Sometimes private seller list in there too. I've bought several instruments through there.

12. altamont

altamont

I got my 75' Gibson Ripper for about 500$ on there. The auction didn't spark that much interest because the bridge pup wasn't original (Dimarzio model G). I don't mind, it sounds awesome. Scored an OHSC for 100$ the month after. This is a couple months before the Grabbers and Rippers came back popular.

I don't use programs, I'm the kind of guy that waits until the last minute to bid and steal the auction. Yup, I'm that guy.

13. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I have set my last offer amount into the box, and waited for T-10 seconds to hit the submit button. Works every time. Really gets the adrenaline going

14. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

with the internet, it now seems like anyone can easily find the "market price" for any piece of gear, and that makes it a sellers market - so less good deals unless people are just trying to move stuff fast, or are just too stupid to check. I think the days of the stupid good deal are gone,, or just about there.

15. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

I don't see what the problem is with the swiping programs. Either the software does it for you, or you sit there and do it yourself - that's the way to win what you want. There is a measure of adrenaline involved as mentioned above by Fair Warning, but the post-auction frustration of being swiped can be greatly reduced by understanding the following:

Basically - you have to set the max price you're willing to pay and bid that with less than 10 seconds to go. If bids are $500 and you're willing to pay $700, don't bid $525 because you will lose. Bid $700 and ebay will adjust your bid to beat the next one below you... say it was $575 then ebay will let you win with $580 or whatever.

The key thing is that if the bids go above your max bid then you won't have regrets because you weren't willing to pay more and would have lost it anyways - no anger or regrets then, right? The worst thing you can do is bid $500 with 10 minutes to go, see that no one else is bidding and sit there thinking you have it. Put in your max bid - with seconds left - even if you're the winning bidder, otherwise there is a good chance that someone will swipe it at the end and you'll be very frustrated at the outcome.

Nothing sucks worse than getting swiped for $505 when you could have automatically beat it with your higher max bid - just don't do it early where multiple people have time to sit and run up the price. This is especially true if you're watching an item for days and really want it. Set the max price you are willing to pay and bid that - but only at the end.

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I still find great deals.

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

You can find great deals on ebay all the time. Depends what you're looking for. Check your local guitar store, and then check ebay. ebay almost always has better deals.

18. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    Exactly.

The people who bid before the hour/minutes of the auction only serve to drive up the price and very rarely actually win.

I found my US Spector Coda on eBay and only paid $1000 for it, the trick is to look for deals semi-regularly and only keep an eye of the auditions before bidding at the last possible moment ;)

19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

What did you sell, and what price were you looking for?

I've sold a ton of gear on ebay and have always been happy with what I got. Granted, when you've sold a $1,900 bass the ebay fees sting, but considering the other options, ebay is the best by far. CL is a cesspool of scammers and perverts. No freakin' way do I want those people coming to my house. Selling to a music store will get me half of what I'd like to see, and selling on consignment will take a 30% bite.

Here's a recent example:

Several months back I wanted to sell my '82 G&L L-2000E. I didn't even consider CL, pawn shops or guitar stores. At first I put it in the TB classifieds for $800 shipped. Nothing. Put it on ebay with a $650 starting price and it sold for $870 and the buyer paid shipping. Can't beat ebay.

As far as sniping programs are concerned - why on earth would anyone want to ban that? Do you for some reason want people to sit in front of a computer with a stopwatch for every auction they're bidding on??:confused:

20. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I only end up buying weird stuff on eBay, since I always put in a "losing" bid. Sometimes no other loser bids, and I get whatever it was I was bidding on. That got me a Ric and an oddball Japanese hollow bass, so I can't complain too much.

21. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

"Playing dirty"? How is using an auto bidding service any different than someone entering their bid "manually" near the end of the auction?

You either bid enough to win the auction, or you didn't. Doesn't matter how bids are entered, it only matters "how much".