1960-62 jazz bass pickups??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I'm just thinking of potential modding here, but I love the sound of early 60s jazz basses; they sound a bit different than those from subsequent years.
    I remember reading an article awhile ago, (can't find it, inconveniently enough) stating that from 1960 to 1962, and possibly part of '63, that Fender used much thicker wire in their pickups, but under-wound them.
    I also read that in the original design the neck pickup had alnico III magnets, while the bridge pickup used alnico V.

Can anyone verify whether this is true, and if so, could you recommend anyone that could make me custom pickups to spec??
    Thanks,
    Bassdude15

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can't say for sure when they're coming out, but the next set of passive pickups that EMG is doing will be a J set based on the pickups in Bobby Vega's 61 Jazz. Of course, that does you not much good right at this moment but it's something to look forward to.

3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I have yet to find a J set that sounds like my '62 Jazz, and I've tried them all. I'm anxious to see what EMG comes up with.

4. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

TB'er narud has a couple of threads about the subject. You might do a search for threads he's started.

5. Register to disable this ad