1960's fender tort gaurd-Original

Discussion in 'For Sale: Accessories' started by A-Step-Towards, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

No cracks, no breaks, no previous repairs. No warps or anything else unsightly on this vintage fender gaurd. I was told it was a 1965 but cant confirm that except the fact that it fits on and came attached to a '65 gaurd and looks 100% correct for the period.The only thing detracting from it is it appears a extra hole was added at the top of it for a thumbrest maybe? please see pics for photo of that, there should only be 3 along the top but there are 4, the added hole was well drilled.. Original shield included. There is one of these listed on ebay for $645. I will be a little more realistic, but these are very rare to find. In fact I have searched old for sale threads and never have seen a 60's tort gaurd for sale on tb, if you have a bass with a incorrect gaurd I would be on this

$325 shipped CONUS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Looks very similar to a Fullerton RI guard?? I haven't owned anything older than a 71 guard, so I'm no expert. Any shrinkage?
  3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

It's a Fullerton 'Pepperoni Guard' actually. Circa '83....
  4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

That's what it appears to be to me also.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

hmmm. I was going off what was provided to me from the previous owner who apparently got it from the original owner and the fact it was also on a '65 Body.

I have never owned a 60's fender tort gaurd so I am guessing you guys are correct. As you can see by my feedback I am not here to try and rip anyone off, just apparently needing to do more HW.

here is a pic of it in different lighting.

So fullerton right?

I am dropping the price to $125 and opening a new thread

[​IMG]
  7. denton57

8. Low Class

Attached Files:

• Bod.jpg
      Bod.jpg
      File size:
      133.4 KB
      Views:
  9. denton57

Looks pepperoni to me, which is what I have been looking for! I sold one last year, and am very familiar with the look.

The mid 60's ones are darker and more lush..theres one on Ebay...and almost always have shrinkage. I just sold a 71 guard that had shrunk pretty significantly and was kinda wavy.
  10. Low Class

65 is when they switched to ABS that didn't have the shrinkage problems.
  11. denton57

ABS?

The 65-66 guard on eBay is much darker. Anyway, I'll look on gbase for some more examples.

Maybe others can chime in when they wake up :)
  12. denton57

Actually, I have a Fullerton tort jazz guard here. I'll post pics of it for comparison purposes.
  13. denton57

Here is a Fullerton jazz guard that i purchased off ebay last year for a project J someday.. Project hasn't happened yet unfortunately, and may never happen. Anyway.. this one has actually begun to get wavy...it supposedly was part of a batch of extras that a music store had been sitting on. It is actually a little redder than appears in picture. Since it hasnt ever been on a bass, it hasnt had a chance to "age" or get dirty and fade out any.

IMG_2341.JPG

This is a pic of the Fullerton P pepperoni guard I had. Picture was taken outside in the early morning glow. Never should have sold/parted out this bass :(

IMG_0006.JPG
  14. Low Class

The difference in color between your Fullerton and the one FS is obvious. His is the real deal.
  15. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

My '83 Fullerton w/ pepperoni guard.

Attached Files:

16. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

Nice bass Fran! :bassist:
  17. Low Class

Put this up next to the one for sale and again you can see the difference in the reds and yellows.
  18. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Thanks Dan'l! ;-) Original 60's guard will have a wider edge bevel, mintier in color, and a thicker top ply of tort. Of course there's color differences at play here, but I'm looking at construction details too. Still betting the farm on this guard being a Fullerton.
  19. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

And none of this is a knock on ol' A-Step here! We've done business and he's a great guy!!!
  20. denton57

Thats the look I'm going for...except i have a 2012 body and a 1970 neck lol. I like the pep guards with the sunburst.
  21. denton57

Which of my Fullerton's? Both of mine had a different shade...the Jazz is basically unused NOS, and the P was well used and lighter/more faded. The enviroments of the pics come into play as well. My P was taken outside about 7:30 in the morning, early May, Arkansas, facing due north, perfect weather, etc :)

Not arguing, but i immediately thought Fullerton when i saw the pics of the OP's pickguard. I could be wrong. I am a buyer (already PM's) for the "Fullerton" one..if OP decides it is a real 60's one, no big deal. I'll keep searching for a pep Fullerton one.

Not sure if there is any connection, but the OP DOES have an '84 Fullerton RI neck up for sale too. Maybe a coincidence??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.