1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1961 Fender JB Stack Knob at Rumble Seat Music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amerbs38, Mar 7, 2014.

1. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

Wandered into this new store in Carmal, CA and made a beeline to this JB on the wall. I asked if I could touch it with my grubby mitts and they handed me an amp cord and let me noodle on it for 10 minutes....lots of rare stuff here, mainly guitars and they let you play anything you want. Too fun to play a $20,000 bass...I asked if I could take it home on approval. http://www.rumbleseatmusiccbs.com

Attached Files:

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Outrageous prices. I wonder if anyone actually pays that much for their gear.

3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

If that bass is 100%, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would.

4. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

How did it sound and play?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Not many these days...but serious collectors will pay heavily for the right bass.

7. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

the first rumbleseat music was in Ithaca NY. i'm only an hour from there so i've been to this place a few times and the people are always nice enough to let you try out whatever. they have some pretty cool stuff in glass cases that i've never bothered asking to play though. any time i go there though i wonder how they are still in business, the store is never busy and has multiple employees just sitting on computers, and it doesn't seem like they get new stuff in too often. i bought a gibson grabber from them a year ago for what i thought was a fair price. it was a cool bass but i didn't play it too often and i did have to tweak it a bit and clean it when i first got it. a few weeks ago i sold it for $300 more than what i paid for it

8. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

It played and sounded really nice although I couldn`t swear it was way better than my 66 or 78. The neck seemed a little slimmer but that could be in my head ...I was trying to not drop the thing. The bridge and pickup covers looked like replacements, don`t know about the rest. Everything was hanging on the wall though, no glass cases.

9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I am not even allowed to see things like that, let alone touch them. I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. It's great that kind of thing exists, and it's great people can treat it like it deserves to be treated - played, not hung in a case. So long as some goon like me doesn't come along and drop it or smack somebody with the headstock by accident.

10. geddy402

geddy402

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Yes. People buy Elliot's stuff. He gets amazing instruments and sells them for top dollar. The original Rumble Seat is in Ithaca NY. I remember his first store front and it was a tiny lil' space and it was packed full of 50's Fenders.

He also is known locally for going to every music show with nothing but an empty table and a briefcase full of cash and sitting in the first spot next to the front door. He asks everyone who walks by what they brought and if its decent, he offers them cash on the spot.

His shop has always been friendly. When I was working on a Telecaster project I lived in his fender room and he let me take measurements off of dozens of authentic Fenders and make note of individual details. He has and will always have some of the best true holy grail electric guitars and basses.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Their real business is high end collector/dealers and international. He sells stuff, and he's had some real stunners...like the fully documented 1959 chartreuse metal flake Stratocaster he once had, or any number of custom color Fenders and of course 57,58 and 59 burst Les Pauls, and at least one original 50's Explorer.