1962 Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BooDoggie, Mar 29, 2014.

1. BooDoggie

BooDoggie

Hi all,

I just joined this forum so that I may get some advice on a rebuild of a 62 Fender Jazz bass. It has been in my family since the 60's, so I know the full history of the instrument. My dad did not like the sunburst so he repainted it white shortly after he got it. Later in the late 70's I repainted it black and changed the pick guard to a white one. I also replaced the bridge with a BadAss II and put a brass nut on it. I also put in a set of Bartolini Hi-A pickups. I kept all of the original parts so that I could restore it to factory hardware if so desired.

My question is:

I have it torn down for a complete re-build and I am not sure about where to go from here. Should I paint it back to the original sunburst or go with black lacquer?
  2. Beej

Beej

I think it really depends on what your goals are for this instrument...
  3. BooDoggie

BooDoggie

I guess I should be a bit more informative.

My intention is to restore it to a good playable instrument with as much "originality" as can be maintained considering the history of it. It has been stored for the last 20+ years under not so desirable conditions at my late fathers house. As I am an artist and skilled craftsman all work will be of the highest quality I can muster, and every step will be documented throughout the entire process.
    I have NO intention of trying to pass it off as original. I just want to reflect the quality of the instrument in the fit and finish of it. Or in this case the re-finish. I have already striped the body to bare wood. The body is in near perfect condition with almost no dings, and the few that are there are nearly undetectable they are so small. There are no gouges or previous repairs to it either.
    I guess what I'm wanting is more of an opinion than anything else. If I did decide to sell it later do you think it would make much of a difference as far as desirability if it was sunburst vs black?

Thanks
    Roger
  4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    All things considered, it probably would be most desirable if restored to its original finish (finished w/a period authentic nitro sunburst scheme). As you undoubtably know, it won't be considered a 100% vintage (whatever) but someone who would appreciate the intent/willingness to return it to its orig stripe will know it's full history and judge it on those merits.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

The resale value won't be affected by the color you choose since it will be a refinish anyway. I would choose a different color like sonic blue or olympic white but it would have to be nitro to be as close to original as possible IMO.