1964 jazz bass (great refin)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jakeox, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jakeox

jakeox

As the story goes, I have more basses than I play, and this bass is too nice to sit in my closet unloved. Here's what I know about this bass: I bought it about five years ago from the third owner, and it had a bad amateur refin when he got it. He sent it off to RS Guitarworks for a relic-style refin in aged olympic white with matching headstock, and it looks really great. It also plays beautifully and sounds amazing. It's a terrific player if you like that pre-CBS jazz sound, and I have it set up with a set of Sadowsky flats that really bring out the character of the bass.

As far as I know, the bass is almost entirely original -- I'm pretty sure the pickguard is a repro from the Fender vintage series (it looks and fits perfect), and I didn't receive the original case so I'll send it in one of the newer lightweight Fender cases (I love these). I'm including the original pots and wiring but they look unusable (see the pictures) and the bass has repro pots and wiring installed to the original specs. I also have a set of straplocks on the bass but the original strap pegs are included. I think that everything else is as it should be, but I've included detailed pictures of everything so you can look for yourself (I didn't have a whole lot of slack to pull out the pickups, but I did by best to get a shot of the bottom of each). Looking at the frets, I think chances are good that they're not the original frets, but I think they're correct.

The bass weighs in just under 9 pounds, 5 ounces, hangs nicely on a strap, and feels great to play -- the neck refin feels like it's the well broken-in original finish. The pickups sound amazing, and the A-profile neck is so, so thin and fast. It's a killer player.

I'm looking for $4900 shipped via FedEx ground to the continental US. I'm willing to entertain shipping it elsewhere (or via another/quicker method) at cost, and I've shipped several basses to Europe so I know the drill. PayPal is cool, and we can work out other payment methods if needed. No trades -- I'm trying to thin out the herd a bit, here.

There is a whole mess of pictures here but let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see or anything I can tell you about. In the meantime, here's the main glamor shot:

[​IMG]

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Looks like a nice job on the refin/relic. Do you have the covers? :cool:

3. jakeox

jakeox

Thanks! And nope, no covers, but as you can see, the holes are there if the new owner wants to install some.

4. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    you can always send me a Rick ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jakeox

jakeox

Oh, there's a Rick coming next ... just as soon as I figure out which one ... :)

7. funk7856

funk7856 Supporting Member

8. duderus

duderus

I know just posted this, but if nobody picks it from you and you really want to part with her, I'd be interested in this for $4000 shipped.

9. jakeox

jakeox

Thanks -- I'm open to the idea that I'm out of touch on the pricing (I have not followed the market for the past two years or so), and I'm open to offers ... I do want to give it a little longer to see for sure though.

10. BluesJammer

BluesJammer

11. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Very nice looking bass. If it sounds like it looks: very good!

I'm lucky, I don't have to buy it, because it's from december 1964.
    If it's from february 14th 1964 I had to buy it - my day of birth...;-)

Greetz

12. jakeox

jakeox

Haha, thanks.

This is on hold pending payment.