1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1964 Jazz Bass...is this for real?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amerbs38, Nov 5, 2012.

1. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Yes it's a hippie refin, it's also wearing a replacement 70's pickguard

3. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

And since the seller doesn't mention either of those things that Casa de Kick said, i would assume that the electronics are not original either. No decal on the headstock too. Could have rubbed off, but usually means the necks been refinned and likely on this bass. Might be a nice bass still, but "might" is the key word.

4. mbbassmojo

mbbassmojo

Pics are dated 2007 which seems weird too...For $3,800 I'd post some current pictures.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Disclosures:
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    How does a seller expect to receive $3000 of someone's hard earned cash if they can't even type more than a sentence for the description or take pics of the serial number and about 18 more pics in general.

7. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

DANGER, AMERBS38, DANGER!

8. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Buying a vintage instrument is tricky - establishing the level of originality and status, eg. is it stolen, is it an outright forgery - It's not something I'd do lightly, given how much it costs.

Ebay has it's scammers so I'd proceed with a lot of caution.

9. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

No feedback on the seller - I'd let this one pass unless I could examine it in person, take the neck and pickguard off to check the dates, etc.

10. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

Somebody made a minimum bid...can`t wait to see how it ends up. Pretty scary. although maybe he`s got a matching P Bass.

11. bassie12

bassie12

Highly suspect. 0 feedback, old pics, no info. I would only buy something like this given a personal inspection.

12. Meddle

Meddle

$85.00 at your nearest friendly local Texas pawnbrokers.

13. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

HA---I get it!

14. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Not enough photos for the auction of an expensive vintage bass.

I wouldn't buy it.

15. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

worth additional research...

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

IF it's only a stripped finish and replaced pickguard, $3k isnt TOO crazy, but the seller needs more pics. If all else was proven original, I'd throw down $3k. (although there is 1 bid, but the reserve hasn't been met...)

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Oh yeah there is. Zero seller aside...
    Just taking this bass at face value; he's not asking for anywhere near an untouched original, he seems to be asking the ~appropriate going rate for a stripped finish bass.

The proper small pan head screws are present on the control plate and front pickup cover, and kinda explains why there are slotted pan head screws holding the bridge cover on (pickguard screws are too big and wont fit the non-countersunk early cover holes).
    Would be an interesting resto project bass for a local buyer.

18. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

It's pretty hilarious how there is only one sentence. That would scare me unless I was an expert. The neck looks like clay dots - and the tuners should be good to go eh? If I knew more about 60's Fender basses I might bite - just to see what I would have in parts. I've bought enough vintage guitars and basses though on Ebay to know that such a short description coupled with (0) feedback can easily be bad news bears.

19. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Im no expert but that is no l series serial number in the "description"... Extra digit... Hmmm

20. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Yeah, that is pretty cracked out. Could be a fake neck plate. I've been seeing more and more of them around recently. There's a Duo Sonic guitar on Ebay right now that has a fake-o L-series - I told the seller twice...not sure if he has corrected it yet.

Or it could be a typo. No pic to verify. Could ask.

21. IPA

IPA

That person should be set on fire for that horrible description, if you can call it that.

How not to sell items 101