1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1964 Rickenbacker 4001 Restoration - NEED FIREGLOW HELP!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LedBelli Bass, Nov 7, 2013.

1. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Supporting Member

I have a client who has commissioned LedBelli BASS Guitars to perform a complete restoration of a 1964 Rickenbacker 4001.

The bass was nearly destroyed by it's original owner in 1966 due to unprofessional retrofitting efforts, etc.

The bass was then purchased in the U.K. by it's current owner. When purchased, it was a train wreck; basically a box of parts and a seriously bad attempt at a refinish (that went bad).

The second owner then kept the bass in storage for the past 45 years, then brought it to me for a full-on restoration.

WHAT I NEED FROM MY FELLOW TB'RS: I need sources and methods for recreating an accurate "Fireglow" finish, vintage 1964. Color mixing, sources of information . . . anything and everything that could help.

Here are a few pics of progress so far:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Beej

Beej

3. Splods

Splods

That patch is quite noticeable. Maybe you should do a solid colour.
  4. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

It is noticeable at the moment, but if OP sticks to original parts then it would be difficult to see between the large bridge and large pickup surround. When the bass has strings that area will be broken up, visually. I would prefer to see OP restore it to historical specs, personally, but that is just me. :D

You have to wonder what made the original owner decide to crudely route out a bunch of wood with what appears to be a conventional power drill.
  5. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Wish I could help buy I will be watching this resto..
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Goes with the authentic Ric method of routing by overlapping via drill press (between the control cavity & neck pup).

BTW, the patch looks good and shouldn't be noticed post finishing and hardware install.

Riis
  7. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Awesome, I love rickenbackers (will get one someday) and I love restoration threads.
    Double great!
    Subscribed.
  8. CarbonTom

CarbonTom

I love rickenbackers!!! I love restorations!!! Subbed! That patch looks fantastic, very nice work. I think with the stain and hardware it will be very hard to notice.
  9. CarbonTom

CarbonTom

Also, what is the blue bass in that wall picture, that fingerboard is sexy. Headstock almost looks like a ritter, but the pickups beg to differ
  10. millsbass5

millsbass5

These below. He builds 'em. I've wanted one ever since he built the green one for Tim Reynolds' bass player. I think they look great, and, assume they sound even better.

http://www.ledbellibass.com/
  11. geddy402

geddy402 Supporting Member

I think Rickenbacker has an official restoration section on their websites forums. There's a guy jinglejangle that does official Rick restorations. He may be able to help with colors and stuff. I've actually seen the paint guy at Rickenbacker chime in on their forums. But I haven't been on their site in a while....so not sure if corporate is still actively involved in the forum.
  12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Contact Paul Weklinski ... He's the best guy for what you need.

I would put a 1/8" quilted maple top on that bass and a new fretboard.
  13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Very cool resto project. Subbed..
  14. guitfiddle0409

guitfiddle0409 Supporting Member

I strongly suggest the forum at rickresource.com under Just Basses. There are number of vintage Rick bass experts that frequent there.
  15. LedBelli Bass

Where do I contact this man?
  16. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

There is a guy in Oregon or Washington , that is really regarded for rick refinish work.
  17. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

The name is Paul Wilczynski, and he's a forum moderator here: http://www.rickresource.com/forum/. Sign up and check out the forums under "RRF Gear Technical Forums."

He's busy, but he's the best.
  18. jamro217

jamro217

Has the original owner's prison sentence ended yet? I hope not.
  19. LedBelli Bass

Custom replacement truss rods arrived today. Vintage correct truss rods custom made courtesy of Randy Wood Guitars, Bloomingdale, Georgia
  20. LedBelli Bass

Thank you for the direction here, I believe I will find what I need through this resource!

Thanks again!