1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1965 1966 jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flaked Beans, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

i went to the new sam ash at the 34th street this afternoon and look what was hanging on the wall:
    would you pay $12,5k for one of them? just a few days ago i played a beautiful 100% original (but recently refreted)1966 sunburst j in very good condition and my friend paid only 4600 bucks for it...

Attached Files:

2. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

here is the other one:

Attached Files:

3. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

If I had $12k to spend on one I might do it but I don't right now. :) Its my understanding that a pre CBS jazz in mint original condition (if there is such a thing for a 47 year old bass) would be in that price range. A refin would be half the price and if components have been changed, even less. Is a 66 pre-CBS?

4. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

nope. '66 is not pre cbs.. 1964 is pre cbs for sure :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

but i loved the red one with the matched headstock.. woow..

7. tkozal

tkozal

They are no longer across the street from Rudy's. He usually has even pricier vintage stuff. Like $25000 custom color P's

8. Johnny DeVille

Johnny DeVille

only if my retirement was fully funded, I had the $, I wanted it real bad, played better than I do, AND IT SPOKE TO ME when I played it.

The red one is cool but I am partial to blondes with tort

9. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

The 66 Jazz basses are (or were) undervalued IMO. They are essentially pre-CBS Fenders with oval tuners. And really great necks.
    $12,500 is pretty damn far from undervalued, though.

10. mongo2

mongo2

If $12.5K was chump change to me I might, but only if it would fit in one of the many Lamborghinis in my vast collection.

11. James L

James L

Let me reach rock star status. Then it'll be worth it...

12. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Yes, they moved to 34th street yesterday and the new shop looks better to me. Rudy's shop is still on 48th st.

i think so, those basses are 100% original and in excellent condition.

:D:D

13. Todd Grendon

Todd Grendon

$4,600 for an original '66 J bass in good shape is a steal if it is truly a "player" and rarely found for that price. Did it have dots, early '66, or bars on the fret board, later '66, Was there molding on neck? The quality of these basses really vary and many are not actually original.

14. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

A 66 Jazz is not the same as a Pre CBS with oval tuners! Many of the '65's are, but by '66 CBS had already implemented many of the changes that brought down the quailty of the earlier instruments. There were MANY neck problems with the '66 and lower quality components used in pickup construction. Not to say there aren't some good playing '66's, but I have yet to play one of the caliber of a good preCBS. 12k is too much for a '66 when you can find real preCBS instruments for that much or less.

15. Todd Grendon

Todd Grendon

Well said Low Class. There are still a few great '66s out there but Pre-CBS basses are generally much better.

16. tdizzle

tdizzle Supporting Member

Funny how the price of the bass to the right of the white one is the same, but with the decimal in a different location.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

$4,600 is a very fair to high price for a 66 Jazz in today's market. 66 isn't pre-CBS. If it was a pre-CBS that would be a good price. It would still fetch under $10,000.

This 66 in question is grossly overpriced. Almost to an insulting level. Which is why somebody will buy it, the super rich like to buy stuff that is obscenely expensive and the average joe cannot buy. Ask anybody in any kind of high end retail, this logic applies.

18. Arnie

Arnie

Funny I should see this post... I saw these basses on the wall recently and one of the sales guys said (of course his opinion) " the reason these are so pristine is because they weren't that playable".

I suppose could be a bit of truth to it, unless the people had the foresight to expect these to appreciate in value 50 years later!

19. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    In the 30+ years I have been building, repairing, and restoring instruments, I have never found much of a quality variance between early CBS Fender and Leo era Fender. CBS just introduced more assembly line ethic to Fender. The mystique of "original" Fender is what really adds value, not some huge quality difference. I have never understood that point of view, the workers building the instruments didn't just up and leave when Leo sold out.

20. Bone

Bone Supporting Member

Rumble Seat Music has a 65 w/dots in oly white for $6500. Gregs Guitars has a CAR w/matching HS and blocks for $5300. My question would be would you rather spend your $12000 on 1 pristine bass to hang in its climate controlled case of buy 2 players? The answer is simple for me.

I don't have $12000.

21. Arnie

Arnie

They moved?? All stores on that street? I think they practically owned the street with stores.. what 3 or 4 wasn't it?