1966-68 Fender Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SasquatchDude, Feb 25, 2014.

1. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Blocks & binding, lollipop tuners, matching headstocks... what's not to love?

It seems all the Fender reissues are decidedly centered around the late 50s–early 60s (Precisions) and mid 70s (Jazzes). I know the 66-68 designs were well into the infamous CBS ownership, but so are the 74-75 RI Jazzes that have been coming out of late – and those certainly weren't known for stellar craftsmanship/quality back in the day.

So how about a tribute to a very aesthetically distinct era in Fender bass history? Not some Custom Shop/Master Build "closet classic" (or whatever they call those editions) that's a down payment on a new car... just a nice production-line MIA that'll retail around $2k like the current AVRI line. Ok, rant off... anyone with me? :hyper:
  2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Been done...

Fender Japan did a 66, in both dot inlay and block inlay at different times. There was also a recent Japan LE in white at alot of US stores.
    Fender Custom Shop also has done it a couple times over the years.
  3. hover

hover

I own the '66 Japanese bound and blocked Jazz, this thing is such a beast they don't need to make another. Perfection.
  4. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Ah, I forgot all about the cool stuff that comes out of the Japan plant.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the '68-'73 Jazz basses with the sunburst/maple neck with the black block inlays. These were still 4 bolt necks that instill me with a bit more confidence than the 3 bolts. I wouldn't mind a reissue of these either.
  7. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

i wish they would have done a more legit 70's precision. all they did for the current one is change the headstock logo and add black blocks and black binding, which 70's p's never had! i'd love to be able to buy a 70's reissue in black, white, sunburst, walnut, and especially natural ash. the fender japan has a natural finish ash 70's p, why can't we?
  8. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

+1 on the 70s P... period-correct nickel "elephant ear" tuners would be a sweet touch on those, too.
  9. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

I agree, it would be nice if Fender offered some mid '60 - early '70s reissues for their AVRI line. I was pretty disappointed in the new AVRI offerings..

The '58 P is the same bass as the '57 P except for some very minor things like the tint color of the neck. Nothing new there. The '63 P has a curved fretboard instead of the '62's slab, but other than that it's asthetically the same. The '64 J is different from the '62 J in that it has VVT controls instead of stack knobs, but the Custom Shop already made a '64 J reissue for over 10 years, so the '64 J isn't anything new either. The '74 J is a nice change of pace in terms of neck profile, but really, besides another bolt holding the neck on and a heel truss rod, not much different as far as looks go from the previous '75 J.

Fender, if you are reading this, do something noticeably new for a change! I was hoping you'd at least offer some new color choices this year for the new AVRIs, but nope. I guess it's just way too hard to paint bodies different colors in your state of the art facility. If I didn't know better, I'd think you don't even like making basses anymore.. because the thought you put into your bass reissues is kinda sad.

Look at your Road Worn series for bass.. you've been making them for how long now? And still, the only color options we've gotten ever since the beginning of the run is sunburst (zzzzz...) or fiesta red (let's just call it what it really is.. PINK). Great basses, but no variety. I suppose it's easy for you to forget that the bass is what really set your company apart from the others in the early days, but it's getting pretty obvious you think of us bassists as your ugly stepchildren now. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love Fenders, but Fender.. not so much.
  10. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Agreed on the colors, too. The black/white/red/burst rut they seem to be stuck in right now is kinda pathetic... I think bringing some more of the old school blues and greens to the production line would freshen things up nicely. Sherwood green or daphne blue, anyone?
  11. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

I would dig a legit Fender fretless ReIssue (veneer rosewood board, or solid maple), UNLINED,... And indeed, more custom colors (albeit the AVRI-line will be upgraded with Firemist Silver, Burgundy Mist, Fiesta Red & Daphne Blue)

[​IMG]
  12. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Wow! I want this bass right here. A road-worn price point would be a lot more enticing than the near-two grand street price for the new AVRIs.

Again, this fretless is worth drooling over!
  13. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

I have one as well. I like it better than the MIJ 75 I had. Lighter - alder not ash. Sweet neck profile and the Pearloid block inlays on a rw board are stunning.
  14. hover

hover

That is pretty beautiful...as said, I'd love that with a Maple board. Purty!
  15. gurensan

gurensan

A maple board and I'm in.
  16. Bassflute

Bassflute

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    They are nice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]