1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1966 (?) Fender bass case help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frensal, Dec 2, 2012.

1. frensal

frensal Supporting Member

My friend moved away and left me with a bunch of stuff to sell for him. One of the things is a 1966 (?) Fender bass case that housed a jazz bass of the same year (!). He ended up selling the jazz without the case (?!) and still has the case. It's not in as bad of shape as I would have imagined for a 45 year old case, but it is certainly not in great condition. The original inside padding has been replaced and if I were going to keep it, I'd replace it again. I'm attaching a bunch of pictures in hope that yall will be able to help me a) identify that it is a mid-60's fender case (it says fender nowhere on the case whatsoever) and b) how much to even begin trying to sell it for (Is there some kind of price guide for this sort of thing? Probably not..).

I hope this is in the right forum, if not I will move it to the proper one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about all of these pictures.. just wanted to be thorough. Thanks so much in advance!
  2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

It looks just like my '64 but with the internals replaced.
  3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Also looks like my '66 except your interior is completely wrong. Also, there should be a raised Fender logo on the lower front of the case. Value is subjective. :cool:
  4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Yeah, looks correct except for the missing Fender logo and interior replaced (probably because of mold, which is very common in these old cases).

Price-wise, a lot of people think that these old cases can be worth a bundle. I see that ones in this condition aren't worth very much, IMO. In perfect condition, a good vintage case can be worth hundreds, but something like this I wouldn't pay more than $60 for the "coolness" factor.

The value is pretty much out the window because of its condition, unfortunately.

Afterall, a case is just something to protect it, and if you've got a multi-thousand dollar bass inside, you're going to want to go with something a bit more stable for transporting to gigs/studios.

I actually got a mid-60's Fender case with my 1962 P bass and one of the latches fails once in a while. I never use it in fear that my precious bass will spill out on the street one day.
  5. frensal

frensal Supporting Member

Thanks a lot, yall. I appreciate the info!