1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1966 Fender... Mudbucker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Apolicious, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Apolicious

Apolicious

So I was perusing eBay tonight, looking for things I can't afford, when I came across this listing.

The seller explains;

I've never seen or heard of anything like this. Was this seriously "the thing to do back then?" It seems absolutely bizarre to me, but then again I've never played one. In my mind someone defaced a beautiful instrument (even if it wasn't vintage at the time) in pursuit of an idea that's half-baked at best.

But please, prove me wrong. And that it's worth $8,000. Because this makes me sad.

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
    • 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Splods

Splods

Media:
    Only person that comes to mind is the Bassist from Grand Funk Railroad (His name escapes me now)

But hey, 8K for a 66. Maybe John Kallas can fix it up for you.

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

replace the pickguard and nobody will know the difference

4. Salamenster

Salamenster

Did they already use block inlays in '66?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1bassplayin

1bassplayin

7. 1bassplayin

1bassplayin

Yes... first year for block inlays.

8. Apolicious

Apolicious

But in his case, the humbucker is in the standard J neck position (and looks to be a Hagstrom, if I'm not mistaken,) and the two single-coils are clustered near the bridge. Are they wired together somehow? Because a two humbucker bass makes much more sense to me than what's being offered. Still, I can say I learned something tonight, so thanks for that.

Also, for reference, there's a 66 sunburst listed for $7,500, so I'm still not sold on the value of this thing.

9. Brams77

Brams77 Supporting Member

Yup mid '66 is the introduction of blocks, early 66 and very late 65 it was bound with dots, I have such a bass...
    8000,- for that jazz with a mudbucker, now anyone who buys that is more or less doing a **** job at investing... Altho if it didn't have that pickup it would be worth more co's of the custom color and so on, but take it from me its still just a jazz bass, it certainly doesnt mean you cant get a bass that sounds nicer for a quater of the money or even less.

10. Splods

Splods

Media:
    I need to stop talking about guitar pricing, because 60's Fender Basses are over 10,000 in Australia.

11. Davo-London

Davo-London

Difficult to value with a humbucker installed but if we think of it as a refinished '66 then we might get close. I would have thought $5000-$6000 would be more realistic. Because you would have to refill the gap, return the elctronics to original coniditon, scrap the pickguard and so on.

Davo

12. Doctor J

Doctor J

Perhaps it was viewed as a working instrument back then, without the mythical made-from-Unicorn-tears halo which is now applied to old Fenders? Maybe the guy who owned it wanted fat mudbucker tone in a bass he enjoyed playing? Perhaps the guy thought he'd score more chicks with it? All are valid reasons. You never know, it could have been Billy Sheehan's before he switched to a P. Is it not better that instruments are played and used rather than kept untouched in a case just so some dude too lazy to write his own legacy on an instrument can blow his bonus on it thirty or forty years later? Bought mojo is false mojo. Unless you find it just as horrific were someone to do it to a 2014 Fender, then I struggle to see what your gripe is for, after all, someday a new Fender will be an old Fender too.

FWIW, a long time ago I did something like this and chiselled out a hole for a neck pickup (in my case it was an Aria MB pickup) and learned what fat neck position love truly is. Don't knock it until you try it.

13. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

That's a Dark Star single coil, actually..

14. mongo2

mongo2

It's the Hagstrom Bi-Sonic pickup not the Dark Star replica.

15. Splods

Splods

Media:
    I thought it was a Guild Bisonic?

16. Apolicious

Apolicious

While I totally understand (and would typically agree) with where you're coming from, I don't think that applies here. This wasn't the type of instrument you'd pick up on the street. This was a custom piece. And, with the exception of the addition of the mudbucker, seems to have been immaculately maintained. Even before the Fender-Mythos emerged, someone obviously understood it was something special.

And that's precisely the reason I started this thread; I haven't tried it. Like I said, to my virginal mind, this kind of arrangement seems awkward and ungainly to me. But maybe I'm wrong! I've played one, two, three, and even four pickup instruments, but nothing in this particular configuration. It also raises a lot of questions, like how is it wired? Is it simply three volume knobs and no tone knobs? How does it affect playability? What kind of impact does this modification have on the open market?

17. Doctor J

Doctor J

Custom or not doesn't matter, really, if it was a working instrument. It's just a guitar, at the end of the day, designed to fulfil a function. As for it being something special, it still is :)

You're put off by what is, to you, an aesthetic anomaly. Others might see it as enhanced tonal possibilities ;)

18. mongo2

mongo2

Yes, the Hagstrom Bi-Sonic was used by Guild.

19. mongo2

mongo2

It's just a modded Fender. There is also the possibility that it is in such good condition because it saw little use after the mod.

20. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Mel Schacher from Grand Funk Railroad used a mudbucker in the standard neck position of a Jazz Bass.

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/65/838/1600/96178/mel.jpg

21. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

I have a 67 Gibson EB-O with a P-bass pickup in it. When you blend the mudbucker in with a fender pickup is sounds amazing. A Very deep and rich tone. It may appear as if this is like dogs sleeping with cats, it may sound awesome.