1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1967 Fender Maple Cap Neck!! Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by REMBO, Mar 22, 2014.

1. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

This neck is a 1967 prototype neck....I was surprised to see it's got a maple cap on top? Anyone have one of these?? Is yours also maple capped?
    Any other info would be great! Thanks ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395531467.893539.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395531482.042909.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395531507.962189.jpg

2. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

3. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

4. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very cool how did you come across this.

7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I'm surprised it still has the skunk stripe! It isn't really needed if the board is glued on; like a rosewood slab board neck. Unusual.

8. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Fender did several necks like this. What makes you think it's a prototype?

9. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

well, it has a prototype logo on the headstock.....from the limited amount of info I can find, it is said that these were original 50's p-bass necks with reverse tuners??

and, they were used for trade shows & for the Fender catalog?? i'm really not too sure?

10. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

I purchased it from Airline Vintage Guitars in Texas about 20 Years ago!

11. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

I checked out a 69 P Bass in a store in Ithaca NY that had a maple cap neck and no skunk stripe. The body and guard were black and it was lightweight. That was more than 15 years ago. Couldn't afford it then, and probably still couldn't today.

I have a 68 Tele neck on a P body myself, but it is the typical one-piece maple with a skunk stripe, and the Fender logo reverse tuners.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/jetsetvet/PBassw68Teleneck.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/jetsetvet/68Telebassheadstock.jpg
    I love these chunky necks, but I have big hands. That one of yours is a real gem! It's interesting that there is no walnut plug at the front of the headstock, but that there is a skunk stripe (as observed by 96tbird). So cool that it takes the old non-reverse machines! In all the years you have had it, have you played it?

12. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

i agree with you...it does indeed have the skunk stripe! not sure why with the maple capped neck?

maybe someone on here will have more info??

13. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

too bad we all didn't have cell phone camera's back in the day!
    imagine the cool pics we could all post?

those were the days!!!:D

14. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

this info I found claims there would be NO skunk stripe?

Attached Files:

15. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

very cool bass that you have!! thanks for posting the pics!!

i have never played that neck!! crazy as it seems....i was always hoping to find a blonde original body for it....but, i never have!! also, i need the early tuners....and, I've never found those either! i think they make new ones that will fit now!

I've seen many p-basses with tele bass necks! and, i often wonder where are the bodies?

16. pudgychef

pudgychef

very cool looking neck. Looking forward to folks in the know posting some knowledge..learn a lot in threads like this :)

17. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

The maple-cap was an option from 1964 onwards (up to 1970, when the 1-piece maple neck became available again as a standard). It was in every respect constructed the same way as a regular rosewood "veneer" fretboard, except the top-wood was maple instead. Indeed no skunkstripe (and no walnut plug at the headstock end), since the trussrod channel was routed from the top, and covered by the maple cap.

Your neck is one from the earliest Telecaster-Bass necks. The Telecaster-bass was meant as a reissue of the original P-bass model, and came with a 1-piece maple neck as the originals had, from 1968 onwards. But the very first models, made in 1967, had a 2-piece maple-cap neck, since that was easier (they were already building maple necks like that for 3 years). Yours isn't a prototype, it's a regular, albeit very early, neck that used a different construction than the later necks. Not that Fender particularly cared back then, who would even dare to expect that 50 years later, some people would gather online to analyse pictures of what we were doing today "probably because this method of building was the least effort in terms of machining / readjusting building processes", with specialized websites that list every change of nut & bolt over the year, fonts, stamps,... while we just were looking for the cheapest supplier that could deliver the goods...

The maplecap necks are not that common as the rosewood fretboard, but they're not überrare either. It was "just" an option, like a custom-color was an option. There are some notable uses who used maplecap instruments:

Roger Glover (Deep Purple)
    Nick O'Maley (Artic Monkeys)
    The "Slab" basses for John Entwistle (The Who), Larry Taylor (Canned Heat), Chip Hawkes (The Tremeloes), Steve Curry (T-Rex) all had maplecap necks, as had the "woodstock strat" from Hendrix, or the black tele from Dylan in the 1966 "JUDAS" tour.

18. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

OMG, that is unbelievably beautiful...

20. mongo2

mongo2

And the thot plickens...back then "5" was the code for a Precision Bass neck. "23" was the code for a Telecaster Bass neck as on mine from May '68.

21. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

The Bass Palace? In Scranton, PA? I thought that place closed down years ago. I'm glad to see it back in some form, but had no idea about it. Never saw it mentioned at TalkBass, but it must have been....I just never saw those threads.