1967 Portaflex 18x Purchase - Need help from the experts please

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Kmrumedy, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Hey guys,

I have been looking for a vintage 60's B series Ampeg for my home studio to match up with a pre-CBS Pbass for some recordings

I have been offered a 1967 B18x ( head only) in great shape. Both channels work as does the echo ( reverb?). It still has the 2 prong plug. Any issues with that?

I don't have a lot of knowledge on these amps other than I love the sound of them.

I know the market price of these has risen a lot on B-15's since I last looked but I can't get a grasp on a fair market price for an 18x?

What is a fair price for head only? What would be a good deal price?

Here is pic. What questions should I be asking?

Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's a real good question. Wish I had an answer for you. That one's in pretty good shape, it looks like. What questions should you ask? When was the last time it was serviced and what was done? What parts are original and what aren't? Stuff like that. Sure looks all original cosmetically. Sucks that it was orphaned like that. But you should pay a little less for an orphaned head than you would proportionately if it still had the cab.
  3. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    If the head is in good shape and doesn't require a lot of work I would go between $500-$600, if I really wanted it. I think anything under $400 would be a decent deal. That being said, I have not had good luck with pricing these amps. The B18X is the same head as the B12XT, they just had different cabinet configurations. A few years ago I had a B12XT whose cabinet I restored so that I could list it on eBay. A week or so before I listed mine I saw one sell for over $900, and it was a wreck. This wasn't one with some wear-and-tear that could be passed off as "mojo", it was a water-damaged piece of junk! Being somewhat conservative I listed mine with a $500 reserve and a buy-it-now of around $800 or $900. Well, the auction ran for a week and didn't even get bid up to my reserve.

I guess the point of this is to put some context to the numbers I provided at the beginning of this essay: they're just my opinion and, based on my experience, your mileage definitely may vary!

Also, if it was my amp I would install a grounded power cord for safety.