1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1967 Univox "Gibson EB-1'' copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Anyone ever seen anything like this?
    Fretless, hollowbody sans-f-holes...
    Kinda like Jack Bruce's old axe, kinda;)
    Won it cheap (I guess?) on ebay. I dunno if it's useless wall art, or maybe just kinda neat, or maybe-hopefully playable?

From the auction description:
    "it's got a great warm tone. it's hollow but with no "f" holes. the bridge looks to be not original. probably upgraded in the 1970's. one the of the tuners is not original as well but works fine. finish is dark walnut and does have checks and chips. it's full of vibe though."

Any info at all appreciated...better pics when it's in my hands;

thx-chef

Attached Files:

2. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

I remember the original Gibson violin shape basses. I played a couple back in the '70's. If I remember they weren't hollow they were big chunk of solid mahogany. I think they even had violin style tuners, no gears. they weighed a ton. Pickup was large size of the later EBO pickup, but I believe it was brown and had small screw pole pieces offset towards the upper edge. They also were fretted basses.

The advantage to what you got is many of those old basses get a real deep tone that records well.
  3. Chef

Disclosures:
    bump for more info...
    Steve, AFAIK, the orginal EB1's were hollow mahogany, with F-holes...you can go a google search for images and find lots.
    Google search for the Univox version of this nets pretty much nothing. I don't even know what Univox called it-which might be helpful in terms of searching for more info;)
  4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Nope. The EB-1(originally known as The Gibson Electric Bass)was a solidbody with painted f-holes.
  5. Chef

Disclosures:
    10-4, my EB-1 research confirms that...no idea on the Univox version though. The seller indicates it's hollowbody. Was there *ever* a hollow EB-1, or were they all solid?
  6. aquateen

aquateen

Was there *ever* a hollow EB-1, or were they all solid?

the Gibsons were all solidbody. the hollowbodies are other brands.
  7. Chef

Disclosures:
    again, with the bump for more information on this univox eb1 replica, made in the late '60's...
  8. grayhawk1853

grayhawk1853

It is a Unixox model U1970F. I bought one back in 1971 and still have it. Short scale, plays pretty well, never had any issues with it. One sold on ebay last month for just under $400. I paid $125 for mine new.
  9. Chef

Disclosures:
    Does your bridge look like that one greyhawk?
    What's it sound like? All mud? Enough highs?
    Is the neck a skinny little thing, or kinda chunky, or?
    Gimme the big rundown, please! Pics would be nice too, what's the headstock look like, it's not pictured in the, uh, picture of the one on it's way to me...
  10. grayhawk1853

grayhawk1853

Yes the bridge looks like that, but it is missing the cover. These came with a brass bridge cover and a black pickguard.
    I have restrung mine with light gauge strings now and just play it every now and then. The neck is narrow but a little thick. With the short scale and low action it is still very easy to play. I used to play mine through a Fender Bassman head and a Univox bass reflex cabinet. It always came through loud and clear and not muddy.I'll try to get some pictures of it in the next couple of days. Enjoy!
  11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My guess is some type of scroll headstock.
  12. Dude

Dude

Disclosures:
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass

I'm pretty sure the Univox one has a typical Univox 2+2 style headstock and those black tuning keys.

The scroll headsock ones were made by another company...Aria?

I've seen and played a few of these over the years and they're not all that bad...not all that great either but cool little basses.

The weak link in these is the pickup IIRC.

Great candidate for a DiMarzio Model I.
  13. 62bass

62bass

I tried out the Univox Gibson copy in the early 70s in a store in new York. It was OK. Through the amps of that era it didn't sound too exciting. They had several in stock, all fretted.I can't remember what the asking price was but I decided it wasn't worth buying for use as a gigging bass.
  14. Chef

Disclosures:
    Or a DarkStar...thanks for the replies gents!

15. Dude

Dude

Disclosures:
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Ummm I don't think a Dark Star at the neck position would have the correct pole piece spacing. I tried to get a Dark Star to work in my Vox Apollo but the spacing was too tight so I'm putting in a TV Jones Thundertron.

Get it in and check with Fred Hammon.
  16. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Is this the same Univox that built the electric bass guitar before Fender??
  17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

18. Eilif

Eilif

Scroll bases were also made by Eko and quite a number japanese scroll basses were released under names like Crown, Silvertone, and Aria (I think), among others.

Nearly all of the scroll topped hollow basses of that type that I have seen have been true hollowbodies (no center block) of the slightly larger "viola" shape, with f holes, two pickups and a trapeeze tailpiece. There are some pics of me with my "Crown Professional" viola bass here:

http://blueberryln.com/something/g3/index.html

It was a few years ago, please disregard the terrible haircut and blank expression.
  19. Chef

Disclosures:
    again with the bump...
  20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Yeah all of the ones I have owned/played were all completely hollow no center block.