1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

1968 Fender Telecaster Bass Rare Lake Placid Blue

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by MetsMan75, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetsMan75

MetsMan75 Supporting Member

I'm not anxious to sell to this bass and don't have to but am putting it out there and am willing to sell if for the price I want. It is all original '68 Tele Bass in extremely rare Lake Placid Blue faded to a beautiful green. You don't see these too often. Only thing not original as far as I can see is the white Pickguard which is common on these metallic colored basses...the Pickguard would disintegrate over time and color would change to a green except for under guard. August 1968 neck date stamped on butt end. The bridge ashtray/cover was put on incorrectly way back and you can see as color faded around it. This beauty has been played and it shows...a natural true relic from the past and its a work of art and still plays beautifully! This is a rare beauty! Comes with OHSC. $7000 shipped CONUS and NO LESS or I'll keep her and Not looking for trades for her. I usually am always up for a good trade but the thing is I absolutely Love this Bass and can't think of much else Bass-wise Id rather have but I could use some $ at the moment(but not desperate) so thats why I'm just putting it out there and would consider letting it go for asking price otherwise I'll be beyond happy to keep her. :)

Attached Files:

2. MetsMan75

Comes with original Hardshell Case.

Attached Files:

3. Darmatyoru

Darmatyoru Gold Supporting Member

4. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

What a beauty! I believe the bridge covers back then were turned to avoid the foam mutes that would have been placed on the opposite side. If you wanted to play with the foams mutes, you would turn the cover the other way.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MetsMan75

Oh yeah that would make sense. I will have to take some pics without covers when I get the chance. You can see under the covers and also under pickguard the true LPB color that still appears blue. This has gotta be my favorite Fender color esp when they fade like this to that aqua green color. I read in a Fender Bass book I have that the original pickguards would chemically react with the metallic paint of the nitro LPB paint and it would eventually eat away and disintegrate the pickguard so it was typical for the LPB Tele Basses to do that and require new pickguards eventually. Only thing I never did yet was poke the holes for the tug bar and also get a new tug bar for it which I will eventually do if I end up keeping this beauty.
  7. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Geddy Lee 'P' Supporting Member

BUMP for a beautiful bass... and a fine TBer!
  8. MetsMan75

Thanks buddy! Hope your still enjoying the Hoppus :)
  9. HalfStaff

HalfStaff

I didn't know that Fender did string through bodies in 1968 -

Ya learn something new everyday!
  10. MetsMan75

Yeah Fender came out with them in 1968...they are basically a reissue of of original '51-'54 slab body precision basses except Fender did not officially call them a reissue in '68...they designated them the 'Telecaster Bass' but essentially they are Fender's very 1st Reissue. The first generation Tele basses ran from '68 to around '71-'72 then they changed pickups and gave a humbucker near neck in place of the original single coil.
  11. betavision

betavision Supporting Member

Just so you know, you've got a 51 pickguard on there. A 68 style guard has 11 screw holes.
  12. MetsMan75

Yes I assumed it was a newer '51 reissue or Sting guard...was that way when I purchased it but I know the original most likely disintegrated which was normal for the LPB. LPB and other metallic finishes react differently.
  13. MetsMan75

I took some more pics on my better camera...

Attached Files:

14. MetsMan75

Took some outdoors...

Attached Files:

15. MetsMan75

Typical wear for a bass of its age

Attached Files:

16. MetsMan75

Bass weighs an even 9lbs on my bathroom scale...feels pretty light for a plank.

Attached Files:

17. MetsMan75

Back of headstock/neck....the neck is a very comfortable U profile but not a baseball bat U like the early '50s planks. This is a more subtle U with not quite as high shoulders. Its a C width as designated on butt-end of neck as you'll see in another pic but the width is not quite 1.75...I measured 1.725" at the nut and 2.263" at 12th fret. The thickness front to back at the first fret is .89" and at 12th fret it is
    .970"

Attached Files:

18. MetsMan75

headstock

Attached Files:

• 047.JPG
      047.JPG
      File size:
      171.7 KB
      Views:
  19. MetsMan75

Without ashtray/covers and pickguard. You can see under pickguard where chemical reaction occured between the finish and original guard.

Attached Files:

• 053.jpg
      053.jpg
      File size:
      179.9 KB
      Views:
  20. MetsMan75

Underneath control plate

Attached Files:

21. MetsMan75

Original stackpole pot codes are 304-6631 on both pots dating them to 31st week of 1966.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.