1969 Gibson Les Paul Bass (non-Triumph) -- how quiet is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brennanmcnally, Mar 4, 2014.

1. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally

I have an opportunity to trade for a '69 Gibson Les Paul Bass (sometimes referred to as a Recording Bass), and I haven't played it yet, but I'm wondering how quiet those low impedance pickups will be. This model DOESN'T have the hi and low impedance selector switch that was introduced on the Les Paul Triumph Bass (the much more common one) in '72.

Anyone here own one or have played one of these, and did the output make it difficult to use live? Any other insight on the bass would be very welcome! :)

(Picture attached is from Google, not the actual bass I'm looking at)

Attached Files:

2. jim nolte

jim nolte

I've only played one once and not plugged in to an amp. If the one I played was any indication,I hope you like very heavy basses! My "94" EBMM SR5 with alder body is the heaviest bass I own and it's a tad over 11lbs. The Recording bass I played was easily heavier than that. Jim Edit: Actually my SR5 is pretty close to 12lbs, so I would guess the Gibson was around 13lbs or more? Jim
  3. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally

I know, I know... and I told myself I was going to start playing lighter basses... guess I'd just have to get a really wide strap!
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    I don't have direct experience with the Recording bass, but I do with the Recording guitar. The impedance mismatch with a typical amp caused the guitar to be really thin sounding. Once an impedance-matching buffer was introduced between guitar and amp, it sounded fine. You might need an appropriate buffer to make this bass work well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally

Sounds like a bit of a hassle, but if the bass sounds great then I suppose it'd be worth it. Wish there were more demos and info available for this bass, or that the seller lived a little closer to me.
  7. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Heaviest bass I've ever picked up.
  8. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

I have one, they are awesome, IMO they are the best sounding basses Gibson made, sort of a dark jazz bass sound, but you have to use a line transformer. the original one was built in to the cord which came with the bass. I got one from radio shack 1/4 female in 1/4 male out. sure they are heavy but that is part of the sound. ps they are super quiet.
  9. aquateen

aquateen

Shure makes a transformer that will work.

I have a Triumph which has the transformer built in. when low impedance is selected, the output is lower but doesn't sound thin. they are heavy but they also sound very good.

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/LesPaulBass.php
  10. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally

Thanks for that link, tons of great info there.

Well, the owner's into the trade, so I'm going to get it tonight. If anyone's interested, I'll post pics and do a little write-up about the bass once I've had some time to play around with it, probably after SXSW :bassist:
  11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

TB'er Onemanbanned has two of them a 71 and 72 I believe. He brought one to the GTG a couple weeks ago.
    Very heavy but very cool and sounded GREAT through my Bassman 100T
  12. gurensan

gurensan

I was *wondering* what his forum name was! I didn't ask. I've got his number about a certain other bass I'd happily sell a kidney to keep in my house - and I'm saving up as fast as I can.

Edit: I should mention that he wasn't chomping at the bit to sell. The good thing about that is that it means he will possibly keep it around, perhaps long enough for me to make a worthy offer. If someone else swoops in with an offer he can't refuse, I'll be disappointed in the extreme.
  13. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally

Boom, thank you! Sent him a PM.