1969 Guild Starfire II Fretless (Modded)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BassManPatsFan, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

For sale is a 1969 Guild Starfire II that has seen many modifications, improvements and changes over the years. I bought this bass in 2006 at the now defunct Cambridge Music Center (Boston area) and have since put a lot of work and money into making it the best it can be.

Most noticeable of the modifications is that the bass was converted to fretless by removing the frets, inlaying lines and giving the fingerboard a light epoxy or lacquer treatment.

Next, the original Guild or Hagstrom pickups (it's unclear whether this bass had Bisonics or the Guild humbuckers) were replaced with 4 (yes, 4) Bartolini Jazz pickups. These pickups seem to date from the 1990's and they sound great.

The original Guild/Hagstrom harp bridge was replace with an original Badass bridge. I've owned other Starfires with the harp bridge before and I can attest to the fact that this bridge offers much more in the way of sustain and intonation flexibility.

When I purchased the bass, the headstock veneer was long gone and had been replace by a blank piece of ebony wood. Several years ago, I purchased replacement inlays and commissioned one of the guys at Lakland in Chicago to restore the headstock to as close to original as possible. It looks fantastic. The tuners are not original, but rather are Rickenbacker replacements, which are nearly identical to the tuners that were originally on this bass in size and style.

The electronics were reworked and overhauled by the esteemed Jim Mouradian in Boston shortly after I purchased the instrument. The controls are the following:

-Master volume
    -Bank switch to select between the neck bank of pickups, the bridge one or both
    -Volume for the neck bank
    -Tone for the neck bank
    -Volume for the bridge bank
    -Tone for the bridge bank
    -Pickup selector switches to turn on and off individual pickups

It looks to me like the previous owner removed the neck at one point, possibly to reset it. In the 7 years I've owned this beast, the neck has been extremely stable, even in cold New England and Chicago winters. It's very easy to set up with medium-low action as well.

Specs:
    Year: 1969
    Wood: Mahogany body and neck, Rosewood fingerboard
    Scale: 30.75"
    Nut width: 1.5"
    Pickups: Bartolini J x 4
    Bridge: Badass I
    Tuners: Rickenbacker
    Strings: D'addario Chromes
    Accessories: comes with the original case (okay condition), a custom Moordian soft case that I had built to fit the bass and I'm also including a Wenge wood blank that I had planned on using to make pickup rings if I were to swap the pups out for Novak or Daguet Bisonic imitations.

Please don't hesitate to PM me with any questions.

Terms:
    I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area and would prefer a local sale, but am willing to discuss shipping arrangements.

$1500 shipped, $1425 local pickup.

[​IMG]
    (on the right)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Longtime fan and friend of Cambridge Music here; I miss em. And that is a cool bass.

/rick
  3. EduardoK

EduardoK Gold Supporting Member

Wish I could...
  4. tilehilder

tilehilder Supporting Member

Neat bass. Bump for the Cambridge Music connection.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    That thing is super cool in my eyes.
  7. BassManPatsFan

Bump and price drop to $1500 shipped/$1425 local.

FYI I am leaving town tonight to spend the holidays on the East Coast. The bass will not be coming with me. Any transactions will have to wait until after 1/1/2014.
  8. Ferniff

Ferniff

I wish I had the money, space, and justification of buying this. Bump for you.
  9. Ferniff

Ferniff

Gahh! I might be tempted into getting this if it's still available in 2014. Been GASing for a bass like this.
  10. BassManPatsFan

11. Ferniff

Ferniff

Dude^ I'll take it if your local guy doesn't want it. Consider it sold buddy.
  12. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

The Phil Lesh bug has bitten!
  13. BassManPatsFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.