1969 Kustom K200B-2 / UPDATE

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Shakedown and rehabbing are complete. The results.

Great guitar amp. Found just the right blend of reverb, tremolo and cranked bass for a great sound. Ended up playing for a couple of hours, way more than I've played 6 string guitar in over a year.

Great bass amp. But only up to medium volume. Won't knock the walls down, but a nice vintage sound up to medium, maybe medium plus volume.

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

I cleaned and detailed everything. Serviced and lubed all controls. Every control, including the foot switch, works well. Here's one of the original un-reconed '69 15 inch Jensens. At first, I thought there was a problem with what appeared to be a tear or split in the paper. I then realized that was where they were seemed together. No rubs or other problems and spec out to be just under 16 ohms.

Very happy with this find. :)

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Here's one of the interior of the head and one of the bottom half of the cab.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, I have CTS speakers with cone seams in my Super Reverb, too. Freaked me out the first time I saw it. Very nice job, Oren!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. voided3

voided3

I used to own several 60's Kustom cabinets. The Jensens were intended to be used for guitar only so they don't have the bass response of the CTS or JBL equipped models, though being in a ported cabinet helps. I owned one 2x15" with the Jensens and two 2x15"s with the CTS drivers and there was a very noticeable difference in low end (CTS had much more; could even play a low B cleanly on a five string). I only used the Jensen cab for guitar. I still own two K200 heads, though. They are great amps for either guitar or bass.

7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Thanks for the comps, my Floridian friend. I love rehabbing gear. That seem sure scared me at first. I knew that the speakers sounded good since I'd already played it. Then I saw that seem and said "Oh crap." Not so though!

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

About 4 months ago, I picked up a '70 Kustom K200B-1 bass rig in white sparkle. It has the rare, customer requested, JBL D140F orange & gray Fender labeled 15's. As you say, major difference for bass with those speakers. :cool:

9. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late!
    I just picked up a white sparkle rig, K200B-2 with 2x15 cab with Jensen speakers. It hasn't shipped yet but after reading this and after seeing the controls on the amp, am I crazy or is this rig actually made to handle both guitar and bass? If so that is weird to me being born in 65 I have no experience with such an invention. When playing live in the 80's I had a PA system from Kustom with the black tuck and roll and it actually worked great. Sadly now I no longer have it. Anyway, just curious.

10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Short answer - yes. Re-read my first post. Actually, what appears to be white sparkle is called silver sparkle by Kustom. Congrats on the new addition. :)

11. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I'm not sure about the K200, but on the K250 series,the only difference between the bass and the guitar version was the addition of a PC board for reverb and tremolo in the guitar version. Power amp and preamp otherwise was the same.

12. Basspolizei

Disclosures:
    Thank you Oren and Bill. This thing is in almost new condition so even if I don't use it much it will look fantastic in my collection and I can tear up the wall's with the Ampeg. Thanks again....

13. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

You're welcome BP. Throw up some photos if and when you can. We love to look at gear. :hyper:

14. Basspolizei

Disclosures:
    My new addition to my sound wall. The Kustom is way cool and like new. I love it for what it is. IMG_0280.JPG