1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1970-73 Gibson EB-3 Worth It?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basskababble, Nov 14, 2013.

1. basskababble

basskababble Supporting Member

http://reverb.com/item/35304-gibson-eb-3-1970-73-cherry

But I'm wondering if this is a good deal?

[​IMG]

Body: Mahogany

Neck: Three piece maple neck with a 1 5/8" wide nut and rosewood fretboard with dot inlays

Pickups/Hardware: Two pickups (rated at 6.6kOhms in the bridge position and 12.6k in the neck position) three-way pickup selector switch, independent volume and tone controls

Cosmetic Condition: There are some moderate surface scratches and some nice checking lines throughout the body. Most of the hardware has been replaced with repro parts so there are some holes in the body from the original parts. The neck and headstock has some dings but is overall in good shape. This is cool vintage bass.

Playability: The strings are at a medium height, play fine, and ring clearly all around.

Modifications: Repro Epiphone neck pickup, varitone switch removed and replaced with 3 way toggle switch, repro bridge, repro bridge pick up ring/missing ring on neck pick up, repro pots

Weight: 9lbs 10oz

Case: Gig bag

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Looks like a crack at the input jack that goes through to the back of the body. Something funny going on at the heel of the neck, crack in the neck laminate and that rectangular mark where the neck joins the body make me wonder if someone put a Fender style neck plate on it at one time. The finish is walnut not cherry. I wouldn't buy it without playing it. Neither pickup is original. Given that prices are way down I bet you could find a really nice one for maybe a little more than the asking price. I'd pay $550 tops for it and I'd have to be really hot for it.

3. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Big picture;

[​IMG]

It looks like something was held against the finish for a long time. Would it have left the factory with an off-centre strap button like that?

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1

I wouldn't touch this bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Seems to be missing the 4 position "Varitone" switch that should be where the toggle switch is (unless that's a 4 poll toggle switch).

7. rdcowan

rdcowan

Did EB3's have maple necks? I thought they were all mahogany. This thing smells!

8. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Sometime in the early 70's Gibson started using maple for many necks that were formerly mahogany, usually 3-piece. Eventually they went back to mahogany.

That bass is hammered. I wouldn't give much for it at all, even if it played well. Also, not the greatest era for Gibson. A corporation called Norlin owned Gibson by then and a lot of models changed specs around that time.

9. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

I agree-this is a 400-500 instrument at best.

Vintage isnt always better.

10. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

I'd pass on this one, man. Feels bad.

11. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

It looks like the Varitone poker chip, being a little larger than standard.

However it looks like the bass has had a wholesale transplant from an Epiphone EB3. Basically you would be buying an Epiphone bass hacked into the battered corpse of a less-than-desirable Norlin-era Gibson. :ninja:

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Totally with you on this. Trashed Norlin Gibson? Get outta here! :scowl:

13. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Better off with a new Epiphone EB-3.